Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre screened credit offer =Approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre screened credit offer =Approval?

Is it safe to assume you will be approved with the pre screened offers arriving in the mail? I did get approved for the creditOne I received. But now of course others are rolling in. Anyone know?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Pre screened credit offer =Approval?

No, don't assume.

It simply means you are "pre qualified" for the card based on the issuer's latest SP. Your info can change, or their terms can change, or any number of things that can happen. They are also marketing you towards the cards they want you to have, not necessarily what's best for you.

In short they are not a guarantee and you should apply for what you are actually interested in, not something you got a mailer for (unless it happens to be the card you wanted!). And even with a prequalification, like I said, you are not guaranteed approval so don't assume that.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

No, don't assume.

It simply means you are "pre qualified" for the card based on the issuer's latest SP. Your info can change, or their terms can change, or any number of things that can happen. They are also marketing you towards the cards they want you to have, not necessarily what's best for you.

In short they are not a guarantee and you should apply for what you are actually interested in, not something you got a mailer for (unless it happens to be the card you wanted!). And even with a prequalification, like I said, you are not guaranteed approval so don't assume that.

It doesn't even mean that you're prequalified in many cases.   It simply could be a marketing mailer that was sent out to you

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

No, don't assume.

It doesn't even mean that you're prequalified in many cases.   It simply could be a marketing mailer that was sent out to you

+1000 mailers are nothing more than marketing. No matter how they may word it, it's all about what they want to advertise and get people to app for. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.