Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre- selected Amex and Citi and Denied Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre- selected Amex and Citi and Denied Credit

I don't know what this means but I was recently was denied for Amex green last week, but later received a RSVP for a Business Gold today in the mail. I don't have a business. My Fico scores are EQ 683. TU 678 EX 688. My household income is around $145k (my personal income approx $81k). Oldest account is 23 years. AAoA is 8 years 8 months (many cloased PIF account that I shouldn't have closed -----did not know the rules).  My UT is under 1% on one HSBC Card with $1000 CL..   I never filed for bk, but have several 60 days lates over 16 months old.  Have two car loans, that were never late. I also received a pre select offer from CITI last week but didn't applied, as I am waiting to get back into the 700 club first.. I charged off a $11k Amex Blue Sky two years ago and PIF within the last three months. Amex sent me the Optima with a CL of $3200.  I did applied for the Amex Gold B4 applying for the Opima card. I was denied  for the Amex Gold b/c Amex dtated that I was in a Credit Counseling pgm. i did completed ithat program and it will come off the CRs next month, when the reports recycle. Amex said "Denied because of consumer Credit program. I will keep the Optima for 6 months then reapply after closing it. It appesrs that I could have waited until the CR updates itself and then contact the Amex recon phone number and challenge the denial since the new CRs would not have shown a Credit counseling pgm on it. 

Any take on what i should do to. All suggestion welcome.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Pre- selected Amex and Citi and Denied Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know what this means but I was recently was denied for Amex green last week, but later received a RSVP for a Business Gold today in the mail. I don't have a business. My Fico scores are EQ 683. TU 678 EX 688. My household income is around $145k (my personal income approx $81k). Oldest account is 23 years. AAoA is 8 years 8 months (many cloased PIF account that I shouldn't have closed -----did not know the rules).  My UT is under 1% on one HSBC Card with $1000 CL..   I never filed for bk, but have several 60 days lates over 16 months old.  Have two car loans, that were never late. I also received a pre select offer from CITI last week but didn't applied, as I am waiting to get back into the 700 club first.. I charged off a $11k Amex Blue Sky two years ago and PIF within the last three months. Amex sent me the Optima with a CL of $3200.  I did applied for the Amex Gold B4 applying for the Opima card. I was denied  for the Amex Gold b/c Amex dtated that I was in a Credit Counseling pgm. i did completed ithat program and it will come off the CRs next month, when the reports recycle. Amex said "Denied because of consumer Credit program. I will keep the Optima for 6 months then reapply after closing it. It appesrs that I could have waited until the CR updates itself and then contact the Amex recon phone number and challenge the denial since the new CRs would not have shown a Credit counseling pgm on it. 

Any take on what i should do to. All suggestion welcome.

Thank you!

Unfortunately "pre-approvals" are anything but, regardless of the CC. Amex does not like late pays, inq. baddies of any kind, etc. They are pretty picky. I took a long time to position my credit so that I could apply and be approved with them.

I have read that if you're in the Optima program, you cannot apply for (or be approved for) any other Amex cards. I'm not sure what the details are and how long you have to wait *after* the Optima to app. I believe that when you finish the program, you  will still have the Optima card and can get CLIs on it. I would use and PIF each month, either before the stmt cuts or by the due date.

As for Citi, it sounds like you still have a lot going on with your credit, and I wouldn't app w/them.

You might want to read the Rebuilding posts, because there's some good advice there from people going through what you are. Basically, for the 60-day lates, you can GW them. Where you write a letter and ask them to remove it. Most people have posted that they send A LOT of GW letters before getting results, and some CCCs just won't do it at all. But it's definitely worth a try.

Beyond that, Keep current w/your CCs and loans, and wait for the baddies to age. At some point, you will be able to app for some less-prime cards, and then get CLIs and app for good prime cards. It takes time, but it's worth it! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre- selected Amex and Citi and Denied Credit

I'd wait and try to build more history with Amex. You burned them once in the past - even if you already paid them back and got the Optima, they still know you burned them once. They're going to be wary - it's going to take some time to get their trust back.

As far as Citi goes, they'll deny you for frivolous reasons, like people getting denied for having 2 inquiries (which is "too many"). They really don't seem worth applying for credit with.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.