Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE

tag
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE

Hi everyone.  I really want an AMEX.  I recently received an offer in the mail for the AMEX Green, but I'm not really interested in it ($95 annual fee).  I went to AMEX's website and did the pre-selection thing and it said I was pre-selected for the Green, Blue Sky, and Blue Sky Preferred.  I wouldn't mind the Blue Sky as I do occassional traveling, but I wouldn't say travel rewards are my absolute priority right now.  I want the BCE but I wasn't "pre-selected" for it.  Is the approval criteria similar between the Blue Sky and BCE?  Also, if I apply for the Blue Sky via the pre-selection page and am approved, if I spend $500 in the first 3 months, they will give me 22,500 points which equates to a $300 statement credit towards travel.  I believe this bonus is only offered to pre-selected offers since the signup bonus is different on the main page (spend $1000 in the first 3 months to get 7500 bonus points).  As of right now the signup bonus for the Blue Sky would be much better than if I applied and got accepted for the BCE (spend $1000 in first 3 months to get $100 statement credit).  Should I just go for the Blue Sky?  After all, the points don't expire.  I already have a cash back card, but its one of those rotating 5% ones.  I mostly want the BCE for groceries and gas.

Here's my credit profile:

AAoA: 2 yrs 1 mo (my Discover card that I got in October has NOT reported yet...trying to apply for AMEX before it reports so they'll see this AAoA instead of my "current: one, which will be lower)

Oldest Account: 3 yrs 1 mo

Utilization: 6%

On-Time Payments: 100%

Inquiries: 2 on EXP, 0 on EQ, 1 on TU

FICO: TransUnion 781 10/4/12, EQ and EXP unknown

Baddies: None

Thanks to anyone who can help.

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE

I don't have an Amex, but i'd guess that the approval criteria would be simular.

They may have pre selected you for the skys cuz that might be the flavor of the month the are pushing right now.  As in, they may just want to make sure they are promoting the sky cards to ppl.  My guess is the most popular are the BCE/BCP and the lagards are the sky cards.  This is just guessing of course lol.

Anyways, If i were to recommend a card from those two, then I would suggest to get the one you would most benefit from (BCE 5%) rather than the one that sounds tempting.  Nothing worse than having buyer's remorse.

Message 2 of 28
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

Anyways, If i were to recommend a card from those two, then I would suggest to get the one you would most benefit from (BCE 5%) rather than the one that sounds tempting.

BCE is 3% groceries, 2% gas, and 1% everywhere else

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 3 of 28
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

Anyways, If i were to recommend a card from those two, then I would suggest to get the one you would most benefit from (BCE 5%) rather than the one that sounds tempting.

BCE is 3% groceries, 2% gas, and 1% everywhere else

Oh okay.  Typo.  Happens to me a lot.

But my point still stands.  You went in to the pre selection hoping to get pre selected for the BCE but then they dangled a carrot in front of you.

Message 4 of 28
charyot77
Regular Contributor

I was pre-selected for the Amex Gold and the Blue.

I apped for the Zync and the Blue instead.

I've only had the Blue for about 2.5 months and I've been told that I can change it to a BCE if I want. 

I assume underwriting for their Blue cards is pretty similar, just like underwriting for their charge cards are pretty similar.

Message 5 of 28
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

I was pre-selected for the Blue card and approved for the BCE with a 720 EX FICO.

Message 6 of 28
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would say you have a good shot at approval, I would also do it before discover reports.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 28
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

worst thing if they denied you and you always can come back another time........Don't apps for card that you dont want and end up cancel in later time.....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 28
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

Hi everyone.  I really want an AMEX.  I recently received an offer in the mail for the AMEX Green, but I'm not really interested in it ($95 annual fee).  I went to AMEX's website and did the pre-selection thing and it said I was pre-selected for the Green, Blue Sky, and Blue Sky Preferred.  I wouldn't mind the Blue Sky as I do occassional traveling, but I wouldn't say travel rewards are my absolute priority right now.  I want the BCE but I wasn't "pre-selected" for it.  Is the approval criteria similar between the Blue Sky and BCE?  Also, if I apply for the Blue Sky via the pre-selection page and am approved, if I spend $500 in the first 3 months, they will give me 22,500 points which equates to a $300 statement credit towards travel.  I believe this bonus is only offered to pre-selected offers since the signup bonus is different on the main page (spend $1000 in the first 3 months to get 7500 bonus points).  As of right now the signup bonus for the Blue Sky would be much better than if I applied and got accepted for the BCE (spend $1000 in first 3 months to get $100 statement credit).  Should I just go for the Blue Sky?  After all, the points don't expire.  I already have a cash back card, but its one of those rotating 5% ones.  I mostly want the BCE for groceries and gas.

Here's my credit profile:

AAoA: 2 yrs 1 mo (my Discover card that I got in October has NOT reported yet...trying to apply for AMEX before it reports so they'll see this AAoA instead of my "current: one, which will be lower)

Oldest Account: 3 yrs 1 mo

Utilization: 6%

On-Time Payments: 100%

Inquiries: 2 on EXP, 0 on EQ, 1 on TU

FICO: TransUnion 781 10/4/12, EQ and EXP unknown

Baddies: None

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Well you do have a predicament don't you?  Smiley Happy. The bonus offer for the BlueSky is definitely a great bonus.  $300 dollars is nothing to sneeze at and the spend requirement is much lower to get it.  Really though- I always recommend getting the card that benefits you the most.  In this case, the BlueSky can be PCed to the BCE in time if you want to reap the rewards of the sign on bonus.  The lending standards are almost identical for both so I think you would be approved for either card if you can get approved for one.  Good Luck on what ever you decide. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 28
Mustangfrank
Regular Contributor

This was my recent experience which might help:

I was Pre-Selected for the Blue Skys and I applied for the BCE and was instantly approved.

At the time  I applied (Two Months Ago) I had Fico's in the low 700's  and a thin credit History of only eight Months.

No Negatives on my record.

What I did was PIF and kepth usage under 10%

Amex Zync NPSL 9/12, Amex CostcoTrue Earnings $10K 9/12
Amex BCE $3K 9/12 (Amex Back Dated to 1983)
Chase Sapphire Preferred $17K 11/12, Chase Freedom $7K 11/12
Discover More $750 11/12
CapitalOne Platinum Secured Card 2K 2/12 (Closed 12/12)
FICO: EQ = 804 EX = 802(Amex) TU = 801(Discover)
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.