Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE

tag
ukimafija
Regular Contributor

Re: Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE

Great, i was in the same situation like you 2 weeks ago, they told me the CC aplications are treated as separate, you are already approved for BCE, they can't take that away from you, fell free and apply for blue sky now. That is what i did because they gave me 30k points, so i got approved for both...go for it you got nothing to lose

BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig. 12K; BOA Travel Rewards Visa Sig 5K, US Bank Cash+ 11.5K, AMEX BCE 6200, AMEX BLUE Sky 7K, Chase Freedom Visa Sig. 5400, Fort Knox FCU Visa Platinum 2500; CAP ONE Cash Rewards WORLD MC 5K

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 28
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

I'm pretty sure the underwriting criteria for BCE vs. Blue Sky are very similar, if not identical.

I had a very similar situation to you OP - I had my eyes set on the BCE and just as I was about to pull the trigger I serendipitously received a targetted offer in the mail for the AmEx Blue Sky. They were offering me 40k bonus points (equivalent to $500) after a $500 minimum spend, which was just too good to pass up. So I applied, got approved for $10k (later did the 61 day CLI to $22.5k), then spent almost exactly $500 on a flight to NYC (so it ended up being free) and have had the card laying in my SD ever since. AmEx probably hates me. Smiley Happy

I've been meaning to PC my Blue Sky to the BCE, but I think I'll just wait until next year to apply for a different card (to optimize backdating) and get another signup bonus.

You can read more details of my situation here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Rec-d-Targeted-AmEx-Blue-Sky-Offer-Update-APPROVED/td-p...

Nice! i didn't realize that 40k points equaled to 500 dollars in airline fare. Smiley Wink i hope you enjoyed your free flight on amex! SD. very good.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 22 of 28
distantarray
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

@bribro wrote:

I'm pretty sure the underwriting criteria for BCE vs. Blue Sky are very similar, if not identical.

I had a very similar situation to you OP - I had my eyes set on the BCE and just as I was about to pull the trigger I serendipitously received a targetted offer in the mail for the AmEx Blue Sky. They were offering me 40k bonus points (equivalent to $500) after a $500 minimum spend, which was just too good to pass up. So I applied, got approved for $10k (later did the 61 day CLI to $22.5k), then spent almost exactly $500 on a flight to NYC (so it ended up being free) and have had the card laying in my SD ever since. AmEx probably hates me. Smiley Happy

I've been meaning to PC my Blue Sky to the BCE, but I think I'll just wait until next year to apply for a different card (to optimize backdating) and get another signup bonus.

You can read more details of my situation here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Rec-d-Targeted-AmEx-Blue-Sky-Offer-Update-APPROVED/td-p...

Nice! i didn't realize that 40k points equaled to 500 dollars in airline fare. Smiley Wink i hope you enjoyed your free flight on amex! SD. very good.

blue sky is supposed to be 1.33 points   so 40k points should be 53k + actually

Sapphire Preferred is little higher rounds upto 1.34 points for base points (7% annual bonus and 25% travel bonus)

Although Sapphire has $95 annual fee, and Amex does not, Chase has no Forex fee and live customer service anytime etc, if your mostly a domestic traveler Amex blue sky is probably better than Sapphire but with occassional travel and using with chase trifecta it wins out =) 

Still blue sky is a very very good card imo.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/reward-program-reviews/blue-sky-points/

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 23 of 28
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

So I decided to apply for the BCE like two minutes ago.  I got this message right after I applied:

"Thank you for applying for the Blue Cash Everyday from American Express. Your application has been received and will be processed as soon as possible and we will notify you of the decision by mail within 14 days. Thank you for applying."

And then I went to the application status check thing immediately afterwards and...DAMN THAT WAS FAST!  I still haven't even received an email confirmation, but hey, this all happened in the last two minutes, lol.  And again, thanks for the input everyone!  Despite the tempting bonus offer for the Blue Sky, BCE still benefits me the most at this moment. Smiley Happy

11/22/12
BLUE CASH EVERYDAY(SM)
Approved
Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days.
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer

Awesome! Congrats. I want to see that screen when I apply for BCE next year.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 24 of 28
bribro
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

@bribro wrote:

blue sky is supposed to be 1.33 points   so 40k points should be 53k + actually

Sapphire Preferred is little higher rounds upto 1.34 points for base points (7% annual bonus and 25% travel bonus)

Although Sapphire has $95 annual fee, and Amex does not, Chase has no Forex fee and live customer service anytime etc, if your mostly a domestic traveler Amex blue sky is probably better than Sapphire but with occassional travel and using with chase trifecta it wins out =) 

Still blue sky is a very very good card imo.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/reward-program-reviews/blue-sky-points/

Oops, I got my numbers mixed up here (they are correct in the previous thread that I linked to, but I mistyped earlier in this thread).

In my case, it was a 30k points bonus (not 40k) after a $500 minimum spend. The 30k points equates to a $400 statement credit toward travel. The way it works with Blue Sky is that you can take 7500 points at a time and convert them to a $100 statement credit (so you're effectively getting 1.33x) against travel expenses. I put almost exactly $400 in travel expenses on my card, and another $100 on random stuff, so I got the $400 in travel expenses for "free." Keep in mind that if I had spent the $500 minimum spend on say food instead of travel, I could not get the $400 statement credit because it's only good for offsetting travel expenses, which are defined by the merchant code.

Again, what makes the CSP so powerful is transferring to travel partners. IMO, it's a complete waste to use points to book flights or hotel rooms through the UR program, even with that 25% bonus (which comes out to 1.34% after you factor in the 7% dividend). If you transfer to Southwest, the minimum value you'll get is 1.77x, and you can get easily get >3x on United and Hyatt, which of course blows the Blue Sky out of the water. The only real downside of the CSP is its annual fee, but for even moderate spenders that fee can be easily overcome.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 25 of 28
RonDawg
Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

So I decided to apply for the BCE like two minutes ago.  I got this message right after I applied:

"Thank you for applying for the Blue Cash Everyday from American Express. Your application has been received and will be processed as soon as possible and we will notify you of the decision by mail within 14 days. Thank you for applying."

And then I went to the application status check thing immediately afterwards and...DAMN THAT WAS FAST!  I still haven't even received an email confirmation, but hey, this all happened in the last two minutes, lol.  And again, thanks for the input everyone!  Despite the tempting bonus offer for the Blue Sky, BCE still benefits me the most at this moment. Smiley Happy

11/22/12
BLUE CASH EVERYDAY(SM)
Approved
Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days.
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer

Congrats on the approval and Welcome to club AmEx Smiley Wink

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 26 of 28
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

Turns out my credit line is $3300, just like my Citi Forward card.  I'm planning on asking for the 61st day 3x CLI increase.  Are there any spending patterns I should be following to maximize my chances for the CLI?

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 27 of 28
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@sakhalin070 wrote:

Turns out my credit line is $3300, just like my Citi Forward card.  I'm planning on asking for the 61st day 3x CLI increase.  Are there any spending patterns I should be following to maximize my chances for the CLI?

CONGRATS on your approval!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.