Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 127
Registered: ‎08-13-2012
0

Re: Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE

[ Edited ]

Great, i was in the same situation like you 2 weeks ago, they told me the CC aplications are treated as separate, you are already approved for BCE, they can't take that away from you, fell free and apply for blue sky now. That is what i did because they gave me 30k points, so i got approved for both...go for it you got nothing to lose

BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig. 12K; BOA Travel Rewards Visa Sig 5K, US Bank Cash+ 11.5K, AMEX BCE 6200, AMEX BLUE Sky 7K, Chase Freedom Visa Sig. 5400, Fort Knox FCU Visa Platinum 2500; CAP ONE Cash Rewards WORLD MC 5K

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800+


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,359
Registered: ‎02-07-2010
0

Re: Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE


bribro wrote:

I'm pretty sure the underwriting criteria for BCE vs. Blue Sky are very similar, if not identical.

 

I had a very similar situation to you OP - I had my eyes set on the BCE and just as I was about to pull the trigger I serendipitously received a targetted offer in the mail for the AmEx Blue Sky. They were offering me 40k bonus points (equivalent to $500) after a $500 minimum spend, which was just too good to pass up. So I applied, got approved for $10k (later did the 61 day CLI to $22.5k), then spent almost exactly $500 on a flight to NYC (so it ended up being free) and have had the card laying in my SD ever since. AmEx probably hates me. Smiley Happy

 

I've been meaning to PC my Blue Sky to the BCE, but I think I'll just wait until next year to apply for a different card (to optimize backdating) and get another signup bonus.

 

You can read more details of my situation here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Rec-d-Targeted-AmEx-Blue-Sky-Offer-Update-APPROVED/td-p...



Nice! i didn't realize that 40k points equaled to 500 dollars in airline fare. Smiley Wink i hope you enjoyed your free flight on amex! SD. very good.

EX BankCard 8 FICO 820 (250-900) 04/08/14
TU FICO 806 (350-850) 04/10/14
EX VT 3.0 805 (300-850) TU VT 2.0 891 (501-990)
Credit.com score 798 (300 - 850) TU transrisk 772
card line up here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-Many-Credit-Cards-Do-YOU-have/m-p/1034512#M290859
Established Contributor
Posts: 2,112
Registered: ‎09-25-2011
0

Re: Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE


scottwagnon wrote:

bribro wrote:

I'm pretty sure the underwriting criteria for BCE vs. Blue Sky are very similar, if not identical.

 

I had a very similar situation to you OP - I had my eyes set on the BCE and just as I was about to pull the trigger I serendipitously received a targetted offer in the mail for the AmEx Blue Sky. They were offering me 40k bonus points (equivalent to $500) after a $500 minimum spend, which was just too good to pass up. So I applied, got approved for $10k (later did the 61 day CLI to $22.5k), then spent almost exactly $500 on a flight to NYC (so it ended up being free) and have had the card laying in my SD ever since. AmEx probably hates me. Smiley Happy

 

I've been meaning to PC my Blue Sky to the BCE, but I think I'll just wait until next year to apply for a different card (to optimize backdating) and get another signup bonus.

 

You can read more details of my situation here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Rec-d-Targeted-AmEx-Blue-Sky-Offer-Update-APPROVED/td-p...



Nice! i didn't realize that 40k points equaled to 500 dollars in airline fare. Smiley Wink i hope you enjoyed your free flight on amex! SD. very good.


blue sky is supposed to be 1.33 points   so 40k points should be 53k + actually

 

Sapphire Preferred is little higher rounds upto 1.34 points for base points (7% annual bonus and 25% travel bonus)

 

Although Sapphire has $95 annual fee, and Amex does not, Chase has no Forex fee and live customer service anytime etc, if your mostly a domestic traveler Amex blue sky is probably better than Sapphire but with occassional travel and using with chase trifecta it wins out =) 

 

Still blue sky is a very very good card imo.

 

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/reward-program-reviews/blue-sky-points/


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,339
Registered: ‎09-11-2012
0

Re: Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE


sakhalin070 wrote:

So I decided to apply for the BCE like two minutes ago.  I got this message right after I applied:

"Thank you for applying for the Blue Cash Everyday from American Express. Your application has been received and will be processed as soon as possible and we will notify you of the decision by mail within 14 days. Thank you for applying."

 

And then I went to the application status check thing immediately afterwards and...DAMN THAT WAS FAST!  I still haven't even received an email confirmation, but hey, this all happened in the last two minutes, lol.  And again, thanks for the input everyone!  Despite the tempting bonus offer for the Blue Sky, BCE still benefits me the most at this moment. Smiley Happy

 

       
11/22/12
BLUE CASH EVERYDAY(SM)
Approved
Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days.
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer

 

Awesome! Congrats. I want to see that screen when I apply for BCE next year.

 

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,367
Registered: ‎04-20-2012
0

Re: Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE


distantarray wrote:

scottwagnon wrote:

bribro wrote:

I'm pretty sure the underwriting criteria for BCE vs. Blue Sky are very similar, if not identical.

 

I had a very similar situation to you OP - I had my eyes set on the BCE and just as I was about to pull the trigger I serendipitously received a targetted offer in the mail for the AmEx Blue Sky. They were offering me 40k bonus points (equivalent to $500) after a $500 minimum spend, which was just too good to pass up. So I applied, got approved for $10k (later did the 61 day CLI to $22.5k), then spent almost exactly $500 on a flight to NYC (so it ended up being free) and have had the card laying in my SD ever since. AmEx probably hates me. Smiley Happy

 

I've been meaning to PC my Blue Sky to the BCE, but I think I'll just wait until next year to apply for a different card (to optimize backdating) and get another signup bonus.

 

You can read more details of my situation here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Rec-d-Targeted-AmEx-Blue-Sky-Offer-Update-APPROVED/td-p...



Nice! i didn't realize that 40k points equaled to 500 dollars in airline fare. Smiley Wink i hope you enjoyed your free flight on amex! SD. very good.


blue sky is supposed to be 1.33 points   so 40k points should be 53k + actually

 

Sapphire Preferred is little higher rounds upto 1.34 points for base points (7% annual bonus and 25% travel bonus)

 

Although Sapphire has $95 annual fee, and Amex does not, Chase has no Forex fee and live customer service anytime etc, if your mostly a domestic traveler Amex blue sky is probably better than Sapphire but with occassional travel and using with chase trifecta it wins out =) 

 

Still blue sky is a very very good card imo.

 

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/reward-program-reviews/blue-sky-points/


Oops, I got my numbers mixed up here (they are correct in the previous thread that I linked to, but I mistyped earlier in this thread).

 

In my case, it was a 30k points bonus (not 40k) after a $500 minimum spend. The 30k points equates to a $400 statement credit toward travel. The way it works with Blue Sky is that you can take 7500 points at a time and convert them to a $100 statement credit (so you're effectively getting 1.33x) against travel expenses. I put almost exactly $400 in travel expenses on my card, and another $100 on random stuff, so I got the $400 in travel expenses for "free." Keep in mind that if I had spent the $500 minimum spend on say food instead of travel, I could not get the $400 statement credit because it's only good for offsetting travel expenses, which are defined by the merchant code.

 

Again, what makes the CSP so powerful is transferring to travel partners. IMO, it's a complete waste to use points to book flights or hotel rooms through the UR program, even with that 25% bonus (which comes out to 1.34% after you factor in the 7% dividend). If you transfer to Southwest, the minimum value you'll get is 1.77x, and you can get easily get >3x on United and Hyatt, which of course blows the Blue Sky out of the water. The only real downside of the CSP is its annual fee, but for even moderate spenders that fee can be easily overcome.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE


sakhalin070 wrote:

So I decided to apply for the BCE like two minutes ago.  I got this message right after I applied:

"Thank you for applying for the Blue Cash Everyday from American Express. Your application has been received and will be processed as soon as possible and we will notify you of the decision by mail within 14 days. Thank you for applying."

 

And then I went to the application status check thing immediately afterwards and...DAMN THAT WAS FAST!  I still haven't even received an email confirmation, but hey, this all happened in the last two minutes, lol.  And again, thanks for the input everyone!  Despite the tempting bonus offer for the Blue Sky, BCE still benefits me the most at this moment. Smiley Happy

 

       
11/22/12
BLUE CASH EVERYDAY(SM)
Approved
Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days.
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer

Congrats on the approval and Welcome to club AmEx Smiley Wink

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 297
Registered: ‎08-28-2012
0

Re: Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE

Turns out my credit line is $3300, just like my Citi Forward card.  I'm planning on asking for the 61st day 3x CLI increase.  Are there any spending patterns I should be following to maximize my chances for the CLI?

 

 

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards
FICO: TU 795 Last App: November 2012
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,442
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Pre-selected for Blue Sky, but want BCE


sakhalin070 wrote:

Turns out my credit line is $3300, just like my Citi Forward card.  I'm planning on asking for the 61st day 3x CLI increase.  Are there any spending patterns I should be following to maximize my chances for the CLI?

 

 


CONGRATS on your approval!!!

 




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.