cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preapproval from AMEX, but my scores don't seem high enough to justify the approval..

tag
lisbonic
Valued Member

Re: Preapproval from AMEX, but my scores don't seem high enough to justify the approval..

@Creditaddict wrote:

Maybe they jumped higher than you think... What's cap1 credit tracker show your score to be?

the thing is in this part of the rebuild the inq prob won't hurt you if declined... I'd risk it and apply

the cap 1 has me at 612, whihc I believe is Transunion.  The MyFico score watch on EX has me at 596, but that will most liekly go up any day once all my CC payments post.

Message 11 of 17
lisbonic
Valued Member

Re: Preapproval from AMEX, but my scores don't seem high enough to justify the approval..

@09Lexie wrote:

If any of those items are still reporting (so new) I would be extremely surprised if the revolver approvals will happen.  Stranger things have happened. 

This was my thought as well, but none of the other sites had offers for me except Capitalone, for the card I already had, so it seemed strange to me that AMEX would come back with those two card offers.  I believe between March and July is when most of those non public records will fall off...so my thought was I might need to wait until then to app for a 'real' card, but now I'm wondering if I am sitting on a potential AMEX and not taking it. 

Message 12 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@lisbonic wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

If any of those items are still reporting (so new) I would be extremely surprised if the revolver approvals will happen.  Stranger things have happened. 

This was my thought as well, but none of the other sites had offers for me except Capitalone, for the card I already had, so it seemed strange to me that AMEX would come back with those two card offers.  I believe between March and July is when most of those non public records will fall off...so my thought was I might need to wait until then to app for a 'real' card, but now I'm wondering if I am sitting on a potential AMEX and not taking it. 

It's only a hp, go ahead if you feel confident based on their offer.  Have you noticed that they have SPd your CR's?

Message 13 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@lisbonic wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@lisbonic wrote:

Hello all,

So I checked all the preapproval links the other day for the major cards.  I am in the middle of a rebuild and make slow, steady progress.  I have an corporate AMEX from work that has my name on it and requires me to pay the bill, but they didn't pull my credit to allow me to have it since it's in the companies name apaprently.

My scores are between 590 and 612 at the moment, so just starting to come back into range for the lower cards (got a Cap 1 Quick Silver with a $300 limit in December) and a BOA Secured Card also for $300 in April.

When I filled in the preapproval link on AMEX, it came back with the phase 

Hello, Shawn.

We have found the following special Card offers for you. We invite you to apply for one today.

They two cards offered were the

Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express

and the

Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card

My question is.....it's doesn't really 'say' your preappoved, but acording to what I read around here about it, that is pretty much what they mean.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

What does your EX report look like?

All of my bad stuff from 2008-2009 economic crash are still reported there, along with 3 public records (though all of the paid) a short sale and a reposession on it still as well as multiple charged off cards from that same time period.

I have, however, been on time on all car payments for almost 5 years and all new revolving accounts have no lates either. I did a secured loan though my local credit union a few years back and have had a secured Capital One card for about 2 and a half years now. 

Hope that info helps.

+1.

OP, I personally wouldn't chance the AMEX apps until you get to the upper 600s.   AMEX really does love low UTIL, so that could help them look past some baddies.  However, the baddies might be a bit much for them to overlook currently.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 675 and high util when I first apped for Amex and was denied. I then apped a year later after paying off all my credit cards and was approved for 2500 CL with a 790 score. My mother apped a few months ago with mid util and a score of 690 and was approved for 8500. I guess your credit profile is taken into account as well as your score. GL.

Message 15 of 17
lisbonic
Valued Member

@09Lexie wrote:

It's only a hp, go ahead if you feel confident based on their offer.  Have you noticed that they have SPd your CR's?

I pulled my reports back in April/May and I did notice a soft pull or two from them, and I have been receiving offers to apply in the mail for both those cards from them, but those offers never said preapprovals, so....not sure what to make of it.

Message 16 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@lisbonic wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

I pulled my reports back in April/May and I did notice a soft pull or two from them, and I have been receiving offers to apply in the mail for both those cards from them, but those offers never said preapprovals, so....not sure what to make of it.

The worse that can happen is a denial.  

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.