cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preapproval from AMEX, but my scores don't seem high enough to justify the approval..

tag
lisbonic
Valued Member

Preapproval from AMEX, but my scores don't seem high enough to justify the approval..

Hello all,

So I checked all the preapproval links the other day for the major cards.  I am in the middle of a rebuild and make slow, steady progress.  I have an corporate AMEX from work that has my name on it and requires me to pay the bill, but they didn't pull my credit to allow me to have it since it's in the companies name apaprently.

My scores are between 590 and 612 at the moment, so just starting to come back into range for the lower cards (got a Cap 1 Quick Silver with a $300 limit in December) and a BOA Secured Card also for $300 in April.

When I filled in the preapproval link on AMEX, it came back with the phase 

Hello, Shawn.

We have found the following special Card offers for you. We invite you to apply for one today.

They two cards offered were the

Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express

and the

Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card

My question is.....it's doesn't really 'say' your preappoved, but acording to what I read around here about it, that is pretty much what they mean.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Preapproval from AMEX, but my scores don't seem high enough to justify the approval..

I did it and got the BCP with $250 bonus offer 2 weeks ago, was instant approval when I app'd from there.

Message 2 of 17
lisbonic
Valued Member

Re: Preapproval from AMEX, but my scores don't seem high enough to justify the approval..

Nice!  I take it your scores are higher than mine though, correct?

Message 3 of 17
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@lisbonic wrote:

Hello all,

So I checked all the preapproval links the other day for the major cards.  I am in the middle of a rebuild and make slow, steady progress.  I have an corporate AMEX from work that has my name on it and requires me to pay the bill, but they didn't pull my credit to allow me to have it since it's in the companies name apaprently.

My scores are between 590 and 612 at the moment, so just starting to come back into range for the lower cards (got a Cap 1 Quick Silver with a $300 limit in December) and a BOA Secured Card also for $300 in April.

Hello, Shawn.

We have found the following special Card offers for you. We invite you to apply for one today.

and the

My question is.....it's doesn't really 'say' your preappoved, but acording to what I read around here about it, that is pretty much what they mean.

What does your EX report look like?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya, not sure what AmEx got pulled but I think all my scores are upper 700's (based off the free score estimates available online) with no derogatory marks, only had one 7 year old Chase Freedom at time of app.

Message 5 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Maybe they jumped higher than you think... What's cap1 credit tracker show your score to be?

the thing is in this part of the rebuild the inq prob won't hurt you if declined... I'd risk it and apply

Message 6 of 17
AzaleaB
Established Contributor

@lisbonic wrote:

Hello all,

Hello, Shawn.

and the

I don't think your scores are quite high enough for the Amex cards so I wouldn't take those preapprovals as givens. I first app'ed for my first Amex revolver with an EX score of 630. They denied me and triple-pulled me. I didn't get approved until my EX score was 660 (and triple pulled again). YMMV.

Starting Score: EX:570, 8/2011
Current
Scores(8/30/18):
EX08:850; EQ08:850,
TU08:847
Inqs(12 mo): EX/0, EQ/0, TU/0
Goal Scores: 800+
My Cards: BoA Rewards: 30K, Discover IT: 50K, Arrival : 13.3K, CDP: 30.1K, Amex PRG, Amex ED: 22.5K, Amex BCP: 20K, FU: 21K, CSR: 35K, Amazon Store: 20K, Macys:10K, Diners Club:40K
Message 7 of 17
lisbonic
Valued Member

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@lisbonic wrote:

Hello all,

Hello, Shawn.

and the

All of my bad stuff from 2008-2009 economic crash are still reported there, along with 3 public records (though all of the paid) a short sale and a reposession on it still as well as multiple charged off cards from that same time period.

I have, however, been on time on all car payments for almost 5 years and all new revolving accounts have no lates either. I did a secured loan though my local credit union a few years back and have had a secured Capital One card for about 2 and a half years now. 

Hope that info helps.

Message 8 of 17
destine2grow
Frequent Contributor

@AzaleaB wrote:

@lisbonic wrote:

Hello all,

Hello, Shawn.

and the

I don't think your scores are quite high enough for the Amex cards so I wouldn't take those preapprovals as givens. I first app'ed for my first Amex revolver with an EX score of 630. They denied me and triple-pulled me. I didn't get approved until my EX score was 660 (and triple pulled again). YMMV.

If you don't mind me asking was it a charge card or revolver you were approved for?

Message 9 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@lisbonic wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@lisbonic wrote:

Hello all,

Hello, Shawn.

and the

All of my bad stuff from 2008-2009 economic crash are still reported there, along with 3 public records (though all of the paid) a short sale and a reposession on it still as well as multiple charged off cards from that same time period.

I have, however, been on time on all car payments for almost 5 years and all new revolving accounts have no lates either. I did a secured loan though my local credit union a few years back and have had a secured Capital One card for about 2 and a half years now. 

Hope that info helps.

If any of those items are still reporting (so new) I would be extremely surprised if the revolver approvals will happen.  Stranger things have happened. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.