Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preapprovals..when?!

tag
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Preapprovals..when?!

So, still new to the credit game here. I've never had a pre approval for a cc. Only stupid pay day lain companies almost every week sending me crap in the mail.
I'm wondering when people start getting pre approvals. Is it based on score only, or is it based on your report, your current cards, etc? Since o just got CLI's on my.nfcu and cap one cards, I'm wondering If ill get any kind of pre approvals anytime soon. Or if I still have a ways to go. Once my new CL reports within a month, my util will be way down too.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Preapprovals..when?!

@jdirilo wrote:
So, still new to the credit game here. I've never had a pre approval for a cc. Only stupid pay day lain companies almost every week sending me crap in the mail.
I'm wondering when people start getting pre approvals. Is it based on score only, or is it based on your report, your current cards, etc? Since o just got CLI's on my.nfcu and cap one cards, I'm wondering If ill get any kind of pre approvals anytime soon. Or if I still have a ways to go. Once my new CL reports within a month, my util will be way down too.

I tend to trust the ones I can go do online myself.

Chase has a pre-qual to do that has been solid.

Creditcard.com - partner recently got Blue Cash Preferred with 15 months 0% purchase offer and was instantly approved (his 2nd Amex Credit Card Product)

Discover has one - that's been good if it offers, but it's weird now.

I think Bank of America has brought theirs back too.

Message 2 of 5
Simply827
Established Contributor

I recently had pre-approvals come for the first time in recent weeks. I started to pay down some debt, but still had high util. I think the main reason was that my late payments had aged. So I'd say moreso they look at content of report for general criteria.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 3 of 5
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

I do the cap one prequalifier online almost every day just to see if I qualify thru them, because If I do, I think I might qualify elsewhere.
I got an email from usaa to apply for one of their cards and get 0% balance transfers, but it doesn't say I'm prequalified. What do you think?
Message 4 of 5
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

The BoA prequalifier popped up with the bank americard cash rewards? Could it be?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.