Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premature but Wildly Successful App Spree After Car Loan Pre-approval

tag
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

Premature but Wildly Successful App Spree After Car Loan Pre-approval

I was pre-approved by Toyota Financial for a car loan so I was pushed into doing my app spree earlier than planned. The logic behind it is that when the car loan reports (after I close on it) my score is likely to take a hit due to the new installment debt so I wanted to get a few cards in before the loan shows up. I was planning to apply for the auto loan in April to coincide with my app spree, but Toyota has a 1.9% promo apr going on for used cars that expires April 1st so I wanted to get in before the expiration as I am unsure if they will extend the promo period.

Anyways I ended up applying for Chase Sapphire Preffered, Citi Diamond Preffered, Bank of America Better Balance Rewards, and USAA Platinum Mastercard. I received the pending message on all the applications. However all of them were approved today. I got Chase, Citi, and BOA approved through the backdoors with their respective credit analysts. USAA was approved on its own after a couple hours in pending status... they don't seem to have a backdoor.

Here are the limits on the cards:

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards - $ 7, 500 ~ initially approved for 5K but reconned with analyst to 7.5K for balance transfer

Citi Diamond Preferred - $7, 000

USAA Platinum Mastercard - $6, 000

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5, 000

Notes:

All creditors pulled Experian except for USAA who pulled Equifax. BOA recon was suprisingly easy. Had 15 inquiries showing on experian over last 2 years - including 9 over last 12 months, but analyst didn't mention one thing about the inquiries; she instead focused on my history with BOA and complimented me for been a good customer with them (I already have a personal and 2 business cards with them).

Chase analyst probed why I had so many inquiries and new accounts, but I successfuly explained my way out of it (I already have Chase checking and savings plus personal and business card).

I got a nice Citi analyst from South Dakota. She actually asked me what credit limit I needed. I told her $10, 000 she placed me on hold, reviewed my file and then came back with $7, 000 (I already have two Citi cards). As you would expect I gladly took it.

This continues my legendary luck with the big banks. Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Re: Premature but Wildly Successful App Spree After Car Loan Pre-approval

A BIG congrats on all your approvals and limits!!!

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 2 of 16
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

@dodgerslv wrote:

A BIG congrats on all your approvals and limits!!!

Thanks.

Message 3 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

I was pre-approved by Toyota Financial for a car loan so I was pushed into doing my app spree earlier than planned. The logic behind it is that when the car loan reports (after I close on it) my score is likely to take a hit due to the new installment debt so I wanted to get a few cards in before the loan shows up. I was planning to apply for the auto loan in April to coincide with my app spree, but Toyota has a 1.9% promo apr going on for used cars that expires April 1st so I wanted to get in before the expiration as I am unsure if they will extend the promo period.

Anyways I ended up applying for Chase Sapphire Preffered, Citi Diamond Preffered, Bank of America Better Balance Rewards, and USAA Platinum Mastercard. I received the pending message on all the applications. However all of them were approved today. I got Chase, Citi, and BOA approved through the backdoors with their respective credit analysts. USAA was approved on its own after a couple hours in pending status... they don't seem to have a backdoor.

Here are the limits on the cards:

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards - $ 7, 500 ~ initially approved for 5K but reconned with analyst to 7.5K for balance transfer

Citi Diamond Preferred - $7, 000

USAA Platinum Mastercard - $6, 000

Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5, 000

Notes:

All creditors pulled Experian except for USAA who pulled Equifax. BOA recon was suprisingly easy. Had 15 inquiries showing on experian over last 2 years - including 9 over last 12 months, but analyst didn't mention one thing about the inquiries; she instead focused on my history with BOA and complimented me for been a good customer with them (I already have a personal and 2 business cards with them).

Chase analyst probed why I had so many inquiries and new accounts, but I successfuly explained my way out of it (I already have Chase checking and savings plus personal and business card).

I got a nice Citi analyst from South Dakota. She actually asked me what credit limit I needed. I told her $10, 000 she placed me on hold, reviewed my file and then came back with $7, 000 (I already have two Citi cards). As you would expect I gladly took it.

This continues my legendary luck with the big banks. Smiley Very Happy

CONGRATS!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Right!!! Goood job!! Lol Citi and BOA are tooouuughhhh cookies to crack lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 16
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Wow! Congrats!
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 7 of 16
ednajen
New Contributor

Congrats! Awesome cards!
Go to cards: Amex BCE , CSP, Discover IT, Amex Gold NPSL
Message 8 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

Awesome plan! Both the 4 new cards and the 1.9% APR car loan sound like killer deals to me! Smiley LOL

Just wondering though, do you know why they didn't approve you instantly? Do you have something not completely favorable on your reports? Robot Happy

Message 9 of 16
therealjojo

That was definitely a great success. Congrats!

BOA Secured (12/12) Cap One Secured (01/13)... Projected date FICO score will be generated (06/13)
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.