Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premiere vs Regular apps

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Premiere vs Regular apps

I have a plan several months down the road to get a rewards card thats better than what I have now.  I notice many like Chase or Citi offer two cards with similar themes (IE Disney Premiere and Disney Rewards).  I realize that one has more stringent credit requirements than the other.  So if you apply for one and don't qualify but might qualify for the other, would they ever consider that for you without two pulls? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
rkinnahan
New Contributor

Re: Premiere vs Regular apps

I think most of the time, the Premier vs. standard rewards is due to an AF vs. non-AF version.  If you apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and are denied, they won't offer you a Chase Sapphire instead.  I think this is primarily the case for Chase and Citi, but I know other lenders that will give you the lower tiered card instead.  Store cards come to mind.  Banana Republic maybe won't extend you the Visa version of their card due to your profile, but will still approve you for their store card.  I think PayPal MC is the same way.  Others may have greater insight though.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 2 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I have a plan several months down the road to get a rewards card thats better than what I have now.  I notice many like Chase or Citi offer two cards with similar themes (IE Disney Premiere and Disney Rewards).  I realize that one has more stringent credit requirements than the other.  So if you apply for one and don't qualify but might qualify for the other, would they ever consider that for you without two pulls? 

This frequently happens automatically, and is written in small print on the app of the better card, stuff like "If we are unable to approve you for our super-diamond Visa-so-very-preferred-card we may consider you for our useless-piece-of-plastic card instead."   This annoys a lot of people who are applying for say the US Bank Cash Plus, and get a platinum card that has very small benefits that they would never had applied for deliberately.

In some cases, you just take the lower card and use it lightly for a while, and then maybe able to get it PC'd to the card you want.

Message 3 of 10
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

@rkinnahan wrote:

I think most of the time, the Premier vs. standard rewards is due to an AF vs. non-AF version.  If you apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and are denied, they won't offer you a Chase Sapphire instead.  I think this is primarily the case for Chase and Citi, but I know other lenders that will give you the lower tiered card instead.  Store cards come to mind.  Banana Republic maybe won't extend you the Visa version of their card due to your profile, but will still approve you for their store card.  I think PayPal MC is the same way.  Others may have greater insight though.

I noticed that with the AF vs Non-AF...it seems the one with the AF carries better rewards, so i'm assuming its the harder one to get and carries higher limits.  It sure would be nice if the CCCs would help you out in those areas.

Message 4 of 10
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

AFAIK

The differences in the cards you are talking about are simply the AF and rewards structures. The Disney Rewards/Disney Premier, CS/CSP and similar two tiered cards have pretty much the same underwriting requirements and comes down to you wanting the pay the AF or not. They will not offer you a lower tier card, nor would you likely be approved for it if denied the higher tiered card.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm never seen evidence that sugguests otherwise. (Some card are exceptions to this like Cash+/Cash Rewards)

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 5 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Interesting, I thought it was much more common:

TYP:

To receive the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card, you must meet our applicable criteria bearing on creditworthiness for the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card. Otherwise, you may receive a Citi ThankYou® Card provided you meet our applicable criteria bearing on creditworthiness for the Citi ThankYou® Card. The Citi ThankYou® Card does not have as many benefits as the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card

Message 6 of 10
rkinnahan
New Contributor

I thought about the ThankYou card when i wrote my earlier response.  I seem to recall this happening to a few folks.  I think that's another situation where its applicable.  I don't think if I were to apply for the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve and was denied but given the Citi Hilton HHonors instead.  I think its very specific to the card and like someone said earlier, you need to read the fine print.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 7 of 10
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Interesting, I thought it was much more common:

TYP:

To receive the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card, you must meet our applicable criteria bearing on creditworthiness for the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card. Otherwise, you may receive a Citi ThankYou® Card provided you meet our applicable criteria bearing on creditworthiness for the Citi ThankYou® Card. The Citi ThankYou® Card does not have as many benefits as the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card

Probably issuer dependent? I believe Amex and Chase follow what I said where they don't offer different cards and have similar underwriting whereas US Bank and Citi do offer easier to obtain cards?

Edit - Looking above me, yeah, it does seem more card specific. I looked at the app for one of the cards I plan on in my next spree from US Bank and I don't see anything about offering the no AF version.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 8 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Yeap IMO it's specific to the card itself.

Both TYPs are harder to get compared than regular TY because of NPSL and some features.

Barclays also usually downgrade the cards if the person fails to qualify for world mc or visa signature
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 10
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Yeap IMO it's specific to the card itself.

Both TYPs are harder to get compared than regular TY because of NPSL and some features.

Barclays also usually downgrade the cards if the person fails to qualify for world mc or visa signature

+1. Some lenders and products will specify that you will be considered for an alternate version if you fail to qualify for the card you're applying for. U.S. Bank's Club Calson is a good example of this, but they're not the only ones.

If what you're applying for doesn't state this, I'd work under the assumption that you'll have to re-apply for something else.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.