Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepping for a Chase Freedom card....

tag
santi16
Valued Member

Prepping for a Chase Freedom card....

Hi folks. Was looking into adding a chase freedom to my wallet but I need some advice.

First of all my stats:

8 month credit history, 10% util, 9 inquiries on EX which is what Chase pulls right? No baddies/lates
 I bank with Chase as well with both checking and savings.

Cards:

Discover It $650

Ebay Mastercard $2000

AMEX BCE $1000

Chase Amazon Visa $1000

Walmart $1000

Sears $3000

My  EX score is 670 according to my Chase Amazon VISA app which i got last month Smiley Tongue

What are my chances at Freedom? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Prepping for a Chase Freedom card....

You might want to wait for your chase amazon to be 6-12 months old. That will result in the best outcome. If you really can't wait that long, apply when your credit history is 1 year old.

Kinda risky though because you have a lot of inquiries for someone who only has few months of credit history. And it's quite a bad idea to go on a spree with the same lender when you have a less than ideal profile.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

@santi16 wrote:

Hi folks. Was looking into adding a chase freedom to my wallet but I need some advice.

First of all my stats:

8 month credit history, 10% util, 9 inquiries on EX which is what Chase pulls right? No baddies/lates

Cards:

Discover It $650

Ebay Mastercard $2000

AMEX BCE $1000

Chase Amazon Visa $1000

Walmart $1000

Sears $3000

My  EX score is 670 according to my Chase Amazon VISA app which i got last month Smiley Tongue

IMO

due to your relationship with chase I say you stand a good chance as long as UTL is under control may be a toy limit tho with score

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 19
vish1
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@santi16 wrote:

First of all my stats:

Cards:

Discover It $650

Ebay Mastercard $2000

AMEX BCE $1000

Chase Amazon Visa $1000

Walmart $1000

Sears $3000

IMO

due to your relationship with chase I say you stand a good chance as long as UTL is under control may be a toy limit tho with score

With a thin file and already a 1 month old chase card, I will think the chances are slim.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 4 of 19
santi16
Valued Member

Yea thats what I figured. I would probably get approved with a small limit. May just end up waiting and stalling until they up the sign up bonus.

That would give me time to age my accounts a bit and I'd get my util all the way down to 0. Decisions, Decisions lol

Message 5 of 19
eviLution
Established Contributor

Patience leads to bigger limits my little grasshopper.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 6 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@vish1 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@santi16 wrote:

First of all my stats:

Cards:

Discover It $650

Ebay Mastercard $2000

AMEX BCE $1000

Chase Amazon Visa $1000

Walmart $1000

Sears $3000

IMO

With a thin file and already a 1 month old chase card, I will think the chances are slim.

+1

I would concur with vish1 & enharu on this.  Too thin of a file with recent new accounts does not improve those chances just yet.  The Freedom CC will be out for a long while so you have time on your side to let what you have grow.

Message 7 of 19
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

They declined me 3 times for lack of credit history (0 month, 6 months, and 11 months)

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 8 of 19
eviLution
Established Contributor

I say OP still have a 60/40 chance since he has a checking account with them, but he might have to recon and it's probably gonna be a low CL. I wouldn't recommend wasting an inquiry for $500 CL and it might be a waste for nothing at all.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 9 of 19
santi16
Valued Member

I'm going to wait then guys. No reason to rush as i can only get better.

Thanks for all the advice and feedback folks. Truly appreciate it Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.