Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prequalificaton usually means nothing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prequalificaton usually means nothing

I've seen quite a few new people postng on here who were confused and through that because CreditKarma "recommended" a card for them, or because BoA "prequalified": them on their site, that it really meant something.

I'm postng this in hope of helping those folks avoid HP's.

Credit Karma recommendations are just marketing and mean ZIP. Nothing.

BoA prequalification means nothing too. Someone entered their dog's name and the dog prequalified.

Now, there are a few sites that do a legitimate prequal. I believe Capital One is one of them. Others on the boards with more knowledge about this subject will be able to post which ones are legitimate. (please do)

I just hate to see so many people wasting hard pulls and applying because CreditKarma or BoA told them to. BoA also told "Fido" he could get a card!

Hope this helps.

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Prequalificaton usually means nothing

Discover is also worthless. I've seen Donald Duck and Lucille McGuillicudy get pre-approved offers. 

Supposedly Cap1 and Chase are the most accurate but prequal is NEVER 100%. I don't like it when people say "it's golden" since I've seen quite a few people have prequals from them and then get declined (more so Chase than Cap1). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone should enter Napoleon Bonaparte on all of the credit card websites as a test - and see which ones are legitimate! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One, Chase, Citi, US Bank, and Amex's pre-qualifiers seem pretty reliable, but never a guarantee.

Discover, BOA, and Credit Karma's (and other sites like it) are not reliable at all.

Message 4 of 50
ILBrian
Regular Contributor

With respect to Chase and Capital One offers they are from a period in time and may not be a live soft pull... once they apply if their situation has changed they could be denied... if it hasn't changed and the score remains the same it should be an approval.

Wallet: Discover IT, Discover Gas, Citi Professional (6.74% apr), Chase Freedom, Cap1 Quciksilver, Élan Financial Rewards, BOA Amex, Walmart, CareCredit, Paypal Smart Connect, Kohls, HSBC Cash or Fly, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Zync, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, USAA Plat Rewards, Chase Ink, NFCU Plat
Message 5 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you search on here for direct mail withAPR, if you get one of those you're in good shape. My brother gets literature from American Express for some really sweet offers and he won't budge. I'm trying to get us referral points lol. He simply wont budge. Way better offers and I had or my mom.
Credit Karma gets a score for you and comparison to other people with the same score someone with a few baddies with 20 years of credit history is going to have a Credit Karma score higher than someone who has not screwed up and is just starting out. depending on the lender they would rather open the door for the thin file guy. So go on each site and do their own in-house prequals unless you get some special literature of course.
Message 6 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you search on here for direct mail withAPR, if you get one of those you're in good shape. My brother gets literature from American Express for some really sweet offers and he won't budge. I'm trying to get us referral points lol. He simply wont budge. Way better offers and I had or my mom.
Credit Karma gets a score for you and comparison to other people with the same score someone with a few baddies with 20 years of credit history is going to have a Credit Karma score higher than someone who has not screwed up and is just starting out. depending on the lender they would rather open the door for the thin file guy. So go on each site and do their own in-house prequals unless you get some special literature of course.

I was just gonna chime in and say the same thing.

CK's "approval odds" are based on the amount of people on CK with similar FAKO scores that were approved for that card. So if one has a 700 FAKO on CK and most people with a 700 FAKO were approved for Chase Freedom... it'll say you have good approval odds. On the flip side, if your CK FAKO is 650 and there are very few people on CK with a FAKO of 650 that were approved for AMEX Everyday... it'll say you have poor approval odds.

The problem here is that the FAKO is calculated so differently from FICO and for a lot of people, myself included, CK scores can be 50-100 points different than your true FICO scores. That difference varies from person to person, and we all know that there is so much more to an approval/denial than a numerical score, so two people with the same CK FAKO can get very very different results. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma scores are also not correct and are usually off by 20-30 points form the real FICO score.

Message 8 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
 CK scores can be 50-100 points different than your true FICO scores. That difference varies from person to person, and we all know that there is so much more to an approval/denial than a numerical score, so two people with the same CK FAKO can get very very different results. Smiley Wink
Or even 50-100points off and wrong as noted above. I would not waste time with CrediKarma scores.

Message 9 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

It gives people false hope. my credit karma scores last year were over 700, and now that my real scores are almost 700 my creditkarma is 650 because of the inquries. it's all backwards for the people who need to persue credit options the most.
Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.