cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preselected for Green Amex - Chances of approval?

tag
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Preselected for Green Amex - Chances of approval?

I KNOW this is a duplicate post, but the last thread got sidetracked a bit and I'm wondering if I might post once more.

My question is this, I spoke with the rep at Amex about the approval process and she said that about 95% of the people who get a preselected letter get approved.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Does this seem right?  I want to get in the Amex club but obviously don't want to waste an inq. on a denial.

THANKS!!!!

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Preselected for Green Amex - Chances of approval?

No one here can tell you in advance that you'd get approve for an AMEX card.   If one inquiry is a concern, you may just want to wait until your credit file improves. 

Message 2 of 6
jefftca925
Established Contributor

If your scores in your siggy are correct I would think you'd get approved for a "charge" card with Amex.  The Zync, Green, or Gold cards would be your options.  The "credit" cards (Blue(s), Delta, etc.) would most likely require a score above 700-720.  The nice thing about the charge cards is that you have to pay them off when you get the bill so you will be much more cautious with your spending.  And it will get you foot in the door with American Express.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 3 of 6
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

@pritchardhallhokie wrote:

I KNOW this is a duplicate post, but the last thread got sidetracked a bit and I'm wondering if I might post once more.

My question is this, I spoke with the rep at Amex about the approval process and she said that about 95% of the people who get a preselected letter get approved.  Does anyone have experience with this?  Does this seem right?  I want to get in the Amex club but obviously don't want to waste an inq. on a denial.

THANKS!!!!

When I got my Amex Zync my scores were just alittle lower than yours, I think you would probably have a good chance. Amex seems to like to approve for their charge cards. If you do app and get denied, be sure to try for a recon. I app'd for a Plat. Delta Skymiles, got denied and called for a recon, APPROVED...Good Luck, let us know how it turns out

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 4 of 6
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Gibran!  Did you have a preselected letter or did you just apply from scratch?

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

I just applied from scratch, it wasn't an instant approval, I had to call in to verify some information (address, phone), csr came back and said I was approved. I actually have 3 cards with them now.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.