Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prestige Compromised TWICE!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prestige Compromised TWICE!

So a few months ago, I got a call from Citi Fraud department about suspcious activity on my account. A $900.00 charge went through at Nordstroms went through in Jacksonville, FL a day after I had come from Jacksonville. I had used the card 1 time in a restaurant when I was down there and then the next day I get the call....

Fast forward today and I get a phone call and a text message from Citi  regarding suspicious activity on the account. 26.00 at a car wash in Brooklyn, NY and 175.00 at a C-Town (Grocery store) in Brooklyn, NY... I'm like what the He**... I live in GA! I tell them this is the second time this card has been compromised and I don't know how my information is getting out there. I really only use the card for restuarant purchases on a daily basis unless, I'm doing air travel. I don't see how this keeps happening. I'm a step away from cancleing and going Amex PLAT. I don't think I'm using the card in an inappropriate way for my info to get out there, but this is the 2nd time with this account, different account numbers due to the first fraudulent activity.

Anyone been in this position before and or thoughts?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Prestige Compromised TWICE!

it seems that FL is like hot spot for fraud activities.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! That really sucks big time!

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

it seems that FL is like hot spot for fraud activities.

^ +1

Message 4 of 13
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Identity theft is real. Hope we're talking coincidental instances but.... third attempt and its damage control mode for certain going forward. Keep us posted.

Message 5 of 13
rlx01
Established Contributor

You're using your card at places that are cloning your card.

Not sure how Citi is responsible or using Amex is going to help. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 13
taxi818
Super Contributor

Wow. that really sucks. but hey your are not liable. they reason they even know it is possibly fraudulent is in most case since the card was not present. The Cvv is not accurate or the billing zip was wrong. so it is not on you anyway. Its up to citi to correct the problem. And Florida is no different than any other place in the country when it comes to credit card use.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine has been stolen once. Lol.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sucks but as rlx01 says it's really not the fault of the card or Citi.  More to do with where the cards info is being stolen and usually is a reflection of places you visit it or websites you use the card on.  I wouldn't cancel a great card like the Prestige over fraudulent charges that you aren't responsible for anyways.  Sure it's a pain in the butt to deal with its part  of having and using credit cards these days.

Message 9 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

Citi should just issue a new card. It sounds like someone at the restaurant stole your info and probably sent the info along to friends/relatives in Brooklyn. That would have happened with any lender. I've been seeing a lot more instances of this type of thing going on. Seeing stuff like people getting credit card info of someone and then recoding the strip on a gift card to take from someone's credit card account then they go shopping. Making big money doing it too. Sometimes the clerks at the stores they are going to are in on it as well.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.