Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prestigious CC's

tag
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Prestigious CC's

Does anyone find themselves getting a different look or more attention from people when they whip out a AMEX or Discover card at places as opposed to a Visa or MC? Just always been curious of other's experiences on this.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Re: Prestigious CC's

Not at all.  The only time I ever got even a glance was when I pulled out my Hooters card to pay for a book at the Baptist Book Store.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Message 2 of 22
MrChairman
Established Contributor

LMAO. No comment.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Message 3 of 22
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Hi Mr. Chairman,

I happen to notice when a man uses whips out his AMEX Black Card!!  Might want to at least say hi to him!!  lol lol

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Message 4 of 22
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Perhaps two reactions in the past few years. (actual comments, which are somewhat embarrassing)

The most reaction: nice hotels (they are ready with the perks)

The least reaction: the lower on the scale the less reaction (convenience store type businesses) (also the younger they are the less they relate)

How about you?

CI

Message 5 of 22
somkey10
Contributor

@MrChairman wrote:

Does anyone find themselves getting a different look or more attention from people when they whip out a AMEX or Discover card at places as opposed to a Visa or MC? Just always been curious of other's experiences on this.

I've been the retail industry for 20 + yrs.  The only card that ever gave me and anyone else I've worked with pause and even then just for a moment is the black Amex, simply because it actually weighs more in the hand, and is the only one that implies "The World is your Oyster". 

Other than that, they're all just germ carrying vehicles that a good squirt of anti-bacterial goop hopefully nullifies.

Smiley Wink

-Vik

6/09: 550's
MyFico Start date 3/10: EQ:632 - TU:655
2/11: EQ:678 - TU:707
5/11 EQ:715- TU:724

Message 6 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree on the Centurion Card - it is made of metal and definately makes you take a second glance when someone hands it over.

From the hospitality industry point of view - Amex cardmembers are generally the best tippers.

Discover cardmembers are among the worst tippers.   ( with the 5% rebate their 10% tip only costs them half )Smiley Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The only different looks I get with my Blue are the servers and cashiers turning it over and over, trying to figure where I should have signed. (The card is transparent, and there's no stripe to sign.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 22
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

On the rare occasions I take my Amex out in public I sometimes get a groan because it costs them more  Smiley Sad

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 9 of 22
emartin82
Regular Contributor

I've actually gotten offers to apply for in-store credit offers more when I use my BofA Accelerated Rewards American Express. It's a nice looking card. I never get any offers when I use my capital one.

They must assume I have great credit when i bring out the BofA Amex, but i really dont. it was a secured card that i product changed--and my credit still blows Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.