Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prestigious Cards for "Average People"

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Prestigious Cards for "Average People"

My AMEX Zync is the only card I have that has ever garnished the attention of others.

It's just rare.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 11 of 33
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

Guess you ended up getting the PRG after all!

Message 12 of 33
eagles08
Regular Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

Guess you ended up getting the PRG after all!

Yeah, imma give it a shot!!

AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 13 of 33
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

It's interesting to see the different responses here. Both of the following are true, but it depends on whom you ask.

@Open123 wrote:

I think any metal card, Amex charge, and any Black colored cards tend to wow people.

+1. These are the cards that seem to impress most people, at least from what I've found.

@longtimelurker wrote:

This is frequently asked, and the answer often comes back to the cards you exclude!   Basically, it's possible for almost anyone, with time (for bad stuff to drop off) and discipline , to get a very high (800+) score and corresponding good and clean credit history, and that's enough for any "normal" card.

So what's left is those cards for high-net-worth invididuals that are by invitation only.

I know that is not what you had in mind, but basically any other "wow" card, especially things like the Amex Plat and the CSP, are available to a very large segment of the population, they just don't happen to have them.  And rarity isn't a good criterion either, because otherwise "Visa from very small credit union" would jump to the top.

+1. This is the reality, but most people in the general population don't know this much about credit.

The other thing is that how one defines "average people" varies from place to place. In certain parts of the country, an income of 100k would be fantastic. In other parts, it may let you rent somewhat comfortably, but not much more.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 14 of 33
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@repo yup everyone is like wow thats cool and its white with glitter lol. Yup its a unicorn and a keeper!

But for "prestige" cards I say CSP, BCP and TYP WEMC (this one I want cause of the silver mc logo lol)

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 15 of 33
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 16 of 33
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

My CSP, BCE tends to wow people the most.

Recently the BofA BankAmericard Privileges /w Cash Rewards really boosted it. Probably the color of it and how it feel to hold it. It plastic but got flat paint and feel to it.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 17 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@eagles08 wrote:

When we talk about prestigious cards we hear about the AMEX Centurion or the JP Morgan Palladium.  I know these cards carry huge prestige!  However, whats a card of high prestige for the avgerage American?  The less than $100,000 a year salary guy.  I'm talking about the cards that get a "wow" at Food Lion, Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, or maybe the local golf course.  If you were a cashier at a similar establishment, what cards would wow you?  I know when I saw any American Express card I was wowed or made assumptions about the person's wealth and credit status but thats the only card I really thought anything of due to my lack of knowledge.  Now I'd probably still be impressed by any AMEX, or the CSP.  So in your opinion, whats got that "wow" or "niceeeee!" factor?

For me its my PRG. Its my go-to card. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 33
ccole93
New Contributor

The only card I've received questions about was my AMEX Blue Cash Everday. I think it's the clear factor that confuses a lot of cashiers, and coupled with my age they think I either stole it or I'm borrowing it from my parents. I usually get IDed when I use my AMEX but I never do using anything else. It's a little annoying.

From left to right: NPSL; $10k; $6.2k; $4.5k; $4k; $3.5k; $2.75k; $2.3k
Other CCs: $2.5k American Eagle Visa, $2.2k Old Navy Visa, $1.7k Amazon Store; $1.55k BillMeLater; $800 B&N CC; $750 A&F CC
Message 19 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@chnceit wrote:
 (this one I want cause of the silver mc logo lol)

Not at all a bad reason!  The MC in emboldened silver does look pretty darn cool.  People comment it on how good it looks when I use the Ink cards.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.