cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pretty Remarkable AMEX Success Story....

tag
RSCo
Established Contributor

Pretty Remarkable AMEX Success Story....

Brief history...  Back in 2003 I had the Amex Platinum and was running approx $6,000 / month thru the card... This until everything came to a halt when I went through a split and our house dropped in to foreclosure as a result.. While I had never been late on the Amex after carrying it for several years, Amex CLOSED the account once they discovered my foreclosure.. The house dropping in to foreclosure was the ONLY negative on my credit report (thanks to an uncooperative partner.) I had accumulated and then lost over 100,000 points that had accumulated on the card.. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Fast forward to Feb 2013...  I applied for and received the Amex Delta SkyMiles Gold card - They gave me a $1,500.00 CL.  I then requested a 3x CLI approx 80 days later and I instantly received it, the card now has a CL of $4,500.00. I waited a day and then applied for the Amex TrueEarnerings by Costco and I was auto approved with a $5,000.00 CL... So, I went from having no Amex card back in Jan, to having a combined credit limit of $9,500.00 approx 80 days later..

AND, the best part, both have a member date of 2003... My current AAoA is 4yrs 6mths with just the one Amex factored in.. I wonder how much the second card with a back dating to 2003 will affect my AAoA...

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Pretty Remarkable AMEX Success Story....

Congrats on the approvals !! So the foreclosure was the only negative that was on your reports ? When did it drop off?
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 10
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Congrats! 

Message 3 of 10
CardsLifeLine
Frequent Contributor

All Amex cards will be backdated .. Cool factor
USBank Cash+(14K)/Penfed Rewards Visa Sigg (25K)/ Penfed Promise card (5K)/ Penfed Amex Travel Rewards card(20K)/AMEX ZYNC (NPSL)/AMEX Startwood(9K)/AMEX COSTCO(5K)/AMEX EVERY DAY (10K)/AMEX HILTON HONOURS (8K)/CHASE FREEDOM(4K)/Chase Salte(12K)/AMEX Fidelity Investments(7.5K)/BOA Better Balance Rewards(5K)/BoA Travel Signature Card (10K)/BoA rewards cards (15K)/AMEX MACYS(6K)/Barclaycard Rewards(3K)/Salie Mea (5K)/DISCOVER IT(7K)/ DCU VISA Platinum Card(7.5K)/PAYPAL MASTER CARD(8K)/GAP(4.5K)/US Bank Flex Rewards (6K)/ Best Buy (4k)/Gymbore Visa card(6K)/ TARGET(600)/CHILDREN PLACE(900)/WALMART DISCOVER(8K)/TOY R US MASTER CARD(8K)/JCP(4K)/KOHLS(400)– Total 31 Cards
Message 4 of 10
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Congrats!!

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 5 of 10
antae
New Contributor

congrats!

Amex BCP 25k '11 - Amex PRG '11 - Chase Sapphire 17.5k '95 - Citi Platinum Select 11.5k '93
Message 6 of 10
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Your AMEX should have been backdated to 1998.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/What-Is-Backdating-and-how-does-it-affect-your-credit/m...

Edit by webhopper

Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 7 of 10
RSCo
Established Contributor

@Laugh wrote:

Your AMEX should have been backdated to 1998.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/What-Is-Backdating-and-how-does-it-affect-your-credit/m...

edit by webhopper

Hmm.. How to respond.. here's what I said..

1.  Under the past thread that you ref from me.. I said  I was going to call Amex to see if they could back date my card to 1998.. I called them and they said they couldn't BECAUSE MY account was opened under my employers plan, and I was just a user.. Although the card was in my name, opened and reporting to CAs under my social security number and I was responsible for paying the bill every month, the card was under my employers corp account plan and therefore they would not back date it to that date.. Instead, as I stated above, they back dated to the period I had my personal amex accounts, member since 2003.

2.  I stated at the time  Amex closed the account, I had only a foreclosure on my credit.. No where did I state that was the only negative mark on my credit. Yes, I did have 2 medical collections, and other things including a Federal Tax Lien filed - but later removed - but those were in 2009 and are paid..

edit by webhopper

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 8 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Please remember to keep all comments friendly, and respectful.

If you disagree with a user, or think that something sounds fishy, read the following thread:

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 10
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@RSCo wrote:

Brief history...  Back in 2003 I had the Amex Platinum and was running approx $6,000 / month thru the card... This until everything came to a halt when I went through a split and our house dropped in to foreclosure as a result.. While I had never been late on the Amex after carrying it for several years, Amex CLOSED the account once they discovered my foreclosure.. The house dropping in to foreclosure was the ONLY negative on my credit report (thanks to an uncooperative partner.) I had accumulated and then lost over 100,000 points that had accumulated on the card.. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Fast forward to Feb 2013...  I applied for and received the Amex Delta SkyMiles Gold card - They gave me a $1,500.00 CL.  I then requested a 3x CLI approx 80 days later and I instantly received it, the card now has a CL of $4,500.00. I waited a day and then applied for the Amex TrueEarnerings by Costco and I was auto approved with a $5,000.00 CL... So, I went from having no Amex card back in Jan, to having a combined credit limit of $9,500.00 approx 80 days later..

AND, the best part, both have a member date of 2003... My current AAoA is 4yrs 6mths with just the one Amex factored in.. I wonder how much the second card with a back dating to 2003 will affect my AAoA...

Nicw going!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.