Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventing CLDs

tag
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Preventing CLDs

I know the recommendation that we should use our cards once in a while to keep them active. What sort of spending levels do we need to keep the high CLs though? I have a $10k CL on my Discover and I put only $200-300 on it every month. I do have a $1k or so of other spending that I put on my Green and BCP (for either the points or the cash back).

I figured at some point I might buy a laptop and use Discover since they too have a extended warranty plan and get some 5% cashback through their mall. Would it be preferrable for me to run perhaps a laptop and another thousand perhaps one month, just to use that credit once? I would really hate for them to lower the limit due to non-use.

Ideas and advice appreciated!

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DVH1980
Contributor

Re: Preventing CLDs

I run token amounts on most of my cards(even Barclays) and have not seen any CLD's. Then again I dont have 10k limits either but I dont think it matters as long as there is some use. Im sure others in similar situations with those limits can chime in.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 2 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would think if you run 1k or so through it every other month that should be sufficient.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 8
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
I would think if you run 1k or so through it every other month that should be sufficient.

I could do it once or twice a year but I'd rather collect points on my AMEX, ha.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 4 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I go long stretches without using discover. I have seen no issues so far.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 8
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I can't speak for Discover, but I run $15 a month through my BofA US Airways card and they haven't CLDed me yet. I've never run any money through my other card with them, so it seems that's enough to keep them happy.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If for some reason I really wanted the Discover line, I'd occasionally goose it like once a year or something.

That said, I just don't see Discover as a competitve lender in the upper echelons, other than the CL the rewards are the same as you can obtain around FICO 640 these days... Amex is a much better lender in the long run to have a relationship with, and I think I'd do exactly what you're doing: wrapping my arms around them and calling it good.

        
Message 7 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

If for some reason I really wanted the Discover line, I'd occasionally goose it like once a year or something.

That said, I just don't see Discover as a competitve lender in the upper echelons, other than the CL the rewards are the same as you can obtain around FICO 640 these days... Amex is a much better lender in the long run to have a relationship with, and I think I'd do exactly what you're doing: wrapping my arms around them and calling it good.

Agree here. There are a few things I use discover for... when I shop at Sam's club they don't take visa so I use either discover or my husbands mastercard. I used discover travel desk to get 5% cash back on a cruise. I have used the BT before but the fee is high so I haven't done that very often. Other than that discover stays in the sock drawer. I will never close it because its my oldest tradeline and it isn't subprime.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.