Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priceline Visa Rewards (Closed) Account

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Priceline Visa Rewards (Closed) Account

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not sure - I've never been in this situation before; transferring a closed balance to a new card. 

Ask for a balance transfer check. Some issuers like BofA, Chase, and FNBO will mail you one if you ask. The important thing here is that check specifically states it is for balance transfer purpose. You do NOT want a check that treats itself as cash advance.

Use that check to pay off your closed account.

Message 11 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

UPDATE - I just spoke to Chase. They said definitely I can transfer a closed account balance to the Chase FREEDOM at 0% interest for 15 months. 

A "balance transfer" is just a payment to the old creditor from the new, so it doesn't matter if the old account is closed or not.  (A number of issuers allow you to get the "transfer" as a check you can depoisit to do with as you like).  So, as you discovered from Chase, that is not an issue and congrats on getting it at 0%

Message 12 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

UPDATE - I just spoke to Chase. They said definitely I can transfer a closed account balance to the Chase FREEDOM at 0% interest for 15 months. 

A "balance transfer" is just a payment to the old creditor from the new, so it doesn't matter if the old account is closed or not.  (A number of issuers allow you to get the "transfer" as a check you can depoisit to do with as you like).  So, as you discovered from Chase, that is not an issue and congrats on getting it at 0%

+1

I've done balance transfers numerous times (a couple recently) and neither the new lender or the existing account care at all that the account being paid off is closed.  There are folks on here who even get BTs to pay on accounts with no balance (effectively getting a fee-free cash advance), although I wouldn't recommend it.

To anybody else reading here, if you're needing a card for a BT check out Discover.  Many times they have really nice no (or low) APR promotions going on.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.