Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primary account holder dies?

tag
shaybe
Established Member

Primary account holder dies?

Forgive me if this has already been asked. I searched and could not find anything.

I am an AU on my grandmother's 29 year old Chase account. I do not make purchases or pay on it. She added me so I could make purchases for her if needed.

She's over 80 years old and I'm wondering what will happen to the account when she passes in a few years? When we set up the AU, the CSR asked if I wanted to be an AU or I believe what they called a "co-applicant" or "co-account holder". Would changing my status on the account change the outcome?

Of course I would like to carry on with the account, but I'm not sure if that is possible since I'm under 29 years old lol.
--------------
Not applying again until August 2009, and only then with a 700+ credit score!! Wish me luck..... ugh.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Primary account holder dies?

In a few years....My Grandmother lived to be a 104 years old. Anyway I read a thread a couple of Months ago where someone Grandmother died with them being a AU and they let that person take over the account.
Message 2 of 5
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Ask your G.Mother to add you as a joint account holder.  That way if something happens to her, you can keep the account. 
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn't making yourself a joint account holder mean that you would be responsible for ALL charges on the account?   So if your grandmother dies you'd have to pay the card off legally?   I think that as an authorized user you're not responsible for charges, but as a joint account holder you are.  I'd check into that.

Message 4 of 5
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Yes, bears, that is true. It this case he is desiring to take over the card so he would have to pay the charges on it anyway. I am very skeptical of any process by which you try to bolster your credit standing by piggybacking on anothers achievements. Many times this results in damaging the one in better standing rather than boosting the lesser. AND: JUST SAY NO TO JOINT ACCOUNTS! THEY ARE BAD BAD BUSINESS!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.