Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime Card?

tag
tpmlls
New Contributor

Prime Card?

I have a few "sub-prime" cards with high AF's (Household Bank, Crap One) and I was recently approved for a Chase Freedom Visa with a $1500 CL. I was wanting to have one other main "Prime" card and I was thinking about the Discover Motiva card, and I was hoping to get some feedback on when I should apply or if I should even apply. If I were to be approved, I would pay off my other cards and in writing, have them cancelled so they will still show up on my CR for 10 years in good standing. Any thoughts or comments would be welcomed!

Thank you,

Wes

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Prime Card?

Citibank has some good cards, Discover is good. Barclays is easy on recons, but they like CLD's if you do much credit shopping in the first 6-12 months with them. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 14
HiLine
Blogger

Message 3 of 14
tpmlls
New Contributor

My TU score is currently 658, how long should I wait? I also have 8 inq on my report from house and car shopping as well as a couple cards,I.e. the Chase Freedom
Message 4 of 14
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

We need more information on you to have any specific suggestions. 

AAoA

Oldest Account

any baddies?

what are current tradelines? what are their limits?

are all of those INQs on TU? Do you know what is on the other reports In terms of INQs or scores?

Hopefully we can help some more once we get some more information. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 14
HiLine
Blogger

Why don't you pay off all cards but one, leaving utilization about 2% to determine your maximum credit score? Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
tpmlls
New Contributor

My oldest account is from 2002, a card that is closed but in good standing. I have 2 medical bills that went to collections, a Target credit card that was a charge off that should come off my report in a couple years, and two other utility bills that got stuck with me after I had moved out from my jerk of a roommate. All of the baddies should be off in the next 3 years. The last 6 months I have 6 Hard Inquiries that show up on all three CR's. MyFico shows my AAoA across the board at just under 3 years, but my credit score has jumped leaps and bounds from the last 2 years that I have been trying hard to fix my mistakes. I do not know my other scores exactly, but I do know they are all above 640. I really appreciate ALL of the help, really I do!
Message 7 of 14
HiLine
Blogger

We understand that your credit profile is rather complicated. The best way we can gauge your credit quality or recommend you suitable cards is through a FICO score. I would recommend that you pay off the balances and obtain a FICO score. Knowing your FICO score can only help.

Message 8 of 14
tpmlls
New Contributor

I just looked up my Transunion and Experian scores on the MyFico site. My TU is 658 and Experian is 650 just FYI. 

Message 9 of 14
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

A semi off topic question for OP: were you instantly approved for the Freedom or did you have to recon for approval. Myfico is 703 and they are swinging me around for approval.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.