Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime Cards...Qualification

tag
GFer
Valued Contributor

Prime Cards...Qualification

Is it just your scores, basically that they go by for qualification, or overall credit history?
I've done a lot of work on my credit, but obviously, still have a ways to go!

The only cards I have at this point are:

Newest:
Target
Orchard
Crown Jewelry

Oldest:
Lane Bryant

I'm done with store cards. Really want something I can use on an everyday (almost) basis to help build my credit (and reap rewards, obviously!).

Any suggestions?

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Prime Cards...Qualification

It's normally some combination of both. Also, some CCCs like American Express have their own internal scoring model they use when making decisions to extend credit or CLIs.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 11
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

I'd go for the cards that pull TU and EX in your state.  They do go by scores but each lender has their own criteria.  Your TU and EX scores are easily good enough for a prime card.  Good Luck!
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 3 of 11
GFer
Valued Contributor

How would I know who pulls what?

Oh--and would new accounts hurt me in qualifying (as Target, Crown Jewelry, and Orchard are new)?

Only Experian showing reporting so far, though.

Message 4 of 11
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

What state do you live in?

07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 5 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@GFer wrote:
How would I know who pulls what?
Oh--and would new accounts hurt me in qualifying (as Target, Crown Jewelry, and Orchard are new)?
Only Experian showing reporting so far, though.

If you haven't opted out, I'd go to the Bank of American pre-qual site and see what they offer you.

But they did soft me on EQ, so you might not get anything. A standard real app with them will get a pull on EX and sometimes on TU. You'll probably get both, as your credit file is kind of thin.

What's with your EQ score?

And what serious baddies show on any of the reports, as in anything 60 days or more late, collections, charge-offs, BK's, liens, judgments?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 11
GFer
Valued Contributor

I live in Missouri.

Thin?

I have mortgages that are closed and/or paid off.
I have student loan with 20000 bal.
I have auto loan that is paid down to 5700 from 15k+
I have some closed accts....

My longest account history is 13 years.
I do have old/paid baddies, for sure though.

That's considered thin?
Not being smartaxx, just don't know any better! (Which is why I am here of course! Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 11
GFer
Valued Contributor

I have a civil judgement (Paid this year) few months ago?
Tax liens (paid 7 years ago)
Many lates and a charge off with JCP, but this has been about a year? (Due to extended unemployment per health issues then.

Three 30's and two 60's with auto loan in last 24 months. But everything paid on time and utility around 5% on one. No balances on others, b/c I pif.

Last few months I had made extra payments on student loan, then (duh) realized I'd be better off paying down auto loan at 13.5%.

Message 8 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@GFer wrote:
I live in Missouri.

Thin?
I have mortgages that are closed and/or paid off.
I have student loan with 20000 bal.
I have auto loan that is paid down to 5700 from 15k+
I have some closed accts....

My longest account history is 13 years.
I do have old/paid baddies, for sure though.

That's considered thin?
Not being smartaxx, just don't know any better! (Which is why I am here of course! Smiley Wink

Sorry, I didn't realize you had all the others! I thought it was just the store cards. My brain is not clicking today, that's for sure.

Nice work on all the recovery! (your other post) Hard to guess, especially since if they soft your EQ they will see completely different scores, but I still think it would be worth trying the BofA pre-app site. They might well offer you the secured or partially secured card, since you've had some stuff going on within the last two years, but that's an excellent way to get started. One member (nicemann, maybe?) posted that he started with a secured BofA card and 20 months later has 5-figure credit lines with them.

Here's their site:

Are You Pre-Approved?

Another option would be a credit union, but they generally pull EQ. Nevertheless, they're good to get in with, and their credit limits are frequently generous. You might print out all three of your most recent FICO score reports and visit CU's in your area, show them the reports, and ask them if they thought you would qualify for a card. They should be able to give you an informed opinion without doing a hard inquiry. If you decide to go for a card with them, it would be a hard, of course.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 11
GFer
Valued Contributor

Well, they don't like me just yet.

But that's okay. Just anxious for improvement results, I suppose.
Guess I'll just have to be happy with knowing that I'm doing all I can to turn things around. I've worked hard in disputing mistakes, incorrect information, and learning from these boards. I've taken on extra hours and work to be able to pay things down. The only debt I have remaining are my student loans and my car.

I've improved a LOT in the last 15 months (more since I've found these boards in the last couple of months!). So I guess I shouldn't complain. I didn't get myself in this position in a few months time---so it'll take awhile to 'rebuild'.

I was going to apply for downpayment assistance for mortgage recently.
Reined myself in, so to speak and decided to build history and good grace, along with savings (since I'm blessed enough to have that opportunity).

Guess I really need to find an additional obsession aside from credit (for awhile!). LOL

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.