Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime Cards vs subPrime (Credit Unions)

tag
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Prime Cards vs subPrime (Credit Unions)

Hi.  Are Credit Union Mastercard and Visa's considered Prime cards that help boost FICO scoring?

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Prime Cards vs subPrime (Credit Unions)

@JusdoNit wrote:

Hi.  Are Credit Union Mastercard and Visa's considered Prime cards that help boost FICO scoring?

It might vary based on the CU. Your best bet would be to call your CU and ask. I have a prime CC with my CU, so it is possible.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JusdoNit wrote:

Sub prime cards help your score too.  They just don't have great rewards or uses other than rebuilding.

Message 3 of 13
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Usually a CU CC is going to be a prime card; however, whether it's prime or sub-prime, doesn't affect your FICO. It's not a factor in the scoring model as far as I know. There have been people posting here w/just a couple rebuilders/sub-prime CCs and have pretty decent scores. We all want to be in Prime Land, but not for that reason. Prime CCs have less fees, more rewards, higher CLs and CLIs, etc.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 13
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Thank you all for the help.  I am just trying to find out if I have entered into Primeville.  I have a CU Mastercard that has a 10% interest rate, but I am not sure of any rewards.  Was also trying to see if I would qualify for Chase cards yet.Smiley Indifferent

Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Message 5 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@JusdoNit wrote:

Thank you all for the help.  I am just trying to find out if I have entered into Primeville.  I have a CU Mastercard that has a 10% interest rate, but I am not sure of any rewards.  Was also trying to see if I would qualify for Chase cards yet.Smiley Indifferent

FICO scores above 680 = Prime.

Yes, you qualify with what you have in your signature line Smiley Happy

        
Message 6 of 13
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

@JusdoNit wrote:

I was approved for a Chase Freedom in December with a FICO of 685-690 at the time, with a $2000 CL. They gave me a high interest rate though (22.99%).

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 7 of 13
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Thanks Justme77...,but what was your AaoA?

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JusdoNit wrote:

I'm sure you qualify for Chase.  10% rate is a great reward in itself.

Message 9 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@JusdoNit wrote:

Credit cards from credit unions count the same as bankcards from big banks.  This wasn't always true, but with the newer models there's no difference.  Specifically, this is true for the EQ (BEACON 5.0) and TU04 scores most used by lenders.  I'm not sure about EX.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.