Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime Cards

tag
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Re: Prime Cards

totally agree, capital one appeals to both sub prime and prime lenders just as Amex does with Zinc everything else is prime, Chase and Discover both lowered their criteria some as well.  It all depends on the type of card.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 11 of 32
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

what about bank cards? 

my citizens bank is 2k limit. 

no af. 

and its cash back. 

plus it has 18 month 0% balance transfers. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 12 of 32
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@migliogiorni wrote:

totally agree, capital one appeals to both sub prime and prime lenders just as Amex does with Zinc everything else is prime, Chase and Discover both lowered their criteria some as well.  It all depends on the type of card.

so you consider the zync subrime? 

even if its npsl. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 13 of 32
jsucool76
Super Contributor

My prime list would be...

Amex, Chase, Citi, Discover, Kind of BoA (heard they're kinda shady) and definitely cap1.

It's not really debatable with cap 1, even though they do a triple pull, their prime card are actually pretty decent. And they treat their prime customers a LOT differently than they treat us little people Smiley Tongue 

Also @Creditnocash:

NPSL isn't no spending limit. You have a spending limit just like a regular card, and amex increases and decreases just like a normal lender would do, the only difference is they don't tell you what it is. 

Many people have been approved for zync, but not approved for other cards, I myself would consider zync between sub-prime and prime, almost like....A faux prime...

It gets all the prestige of amex, but not really all that difficult to qualify for. It is one of those cards that gets a different level (subprime, prime) for each person. In my opinion any card that fits a person's lifestyle and spending habits is a prime card for that person. The aforementioned lenders just happen to offer the cards that fit most people's spending habits. 

Message 14 of 32
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I consider my zync to be prime because it fits my needs and allows me a good bit of purchase power... same with my other cards...
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 32
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Hmmm now that I think about it I don't know cause Amex is normally hard to get in with all of their products unless you have stellar scores.  Zinc is a card that folks in their mid 600's can get

, it's clear they're attempting to reach subprime consumers.  So it could go either way

Message 16 of 32
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Nvm Zinc is prime.  Once in with Amex you can boost AAOA with backdating and thats for sure prime and unique, gotta love backdating.

Message 17 of 32
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I don't see the Zync as prime, but moreso a stepping-stone for prime Amex products if used properly. The underwriting criteria isn't anywhere near difficult enough to justify prime status. Too many people get excited by the Amex name and automatically assume that all of their products are prime. They're not.

Also just because a card fits your own personal needs doesn't make it prime either. Your needs can be easily met, and therefore the argument that meeting your personal needs = prime doesn't hold.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 18 of 32
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

What about Bank cards as i previously stated? 

2k limit 

no af 

3% cash back on most used catagory (of merchants) and 1% on everything else. 

bt 0% for 18 months. 

also i have a chase freedom and amex zync. 

but my scores are in the high 600's with limited aaoa now because of 5/6 new accounts. 

honestly this prime sub-prime is all a big ego stroke. 

(i personally never had a cap one card until it bought out hsbc for best buy store card) 

but i dont think i would care if i paid for my lunch with a cap one/orchard vs a amex centurion or anything signature visa. like a crappy car it gets you from point a to b. but obviously someone would rather drive a new ferrari over a **bleep**ty rust bucket(new england) honda /end mini rant.

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 19 of 32
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

What about Bank cards as i previously stated? 

2k limit 

no af 

3% cash back on most used catagory (of merchants) and 1% on everything else. 

bt 0% for 18 months. 

also i have a chase freedom and amex zync. 

but my scores are in the high 600's with limited aaoa now because of 5/6 new accounts. 

honestly this prime sub-prime is all a big ego stroke. 

(i personally never had a cap one card until it bought out hsbc for best buy store card) 

but i dont think i would care if i paid for my lunch with a cap one/orchard vs a amex centurion or anything signature visa. like a crappy car it gets you from point a to b. but obviously someone would rather drive a new ferrari over a **bleep**ty rust bucket(new england) honda /end mini rant.

It isn't purely about ego, but some cards/lenders are frankly better than others. Due to my credit history and the cards I have, there are benefits available to me that simply aren't available to people with subprime numbers.

For example I can get 10% off any British Airways flight anytime, anywhere as part of the World Elite Mastercard program. Access to something akin to Virtuoso or FHR gets you upgraded rooms, free breakfast, and priority check-in at hotels I don't have elite status with. This is quite important since my time is valuable. Included lounge access is also important as I spend a lot of time overseas, and concierge services have proven invaluable when things have gone seriously wrong. I can also charge large amounts through my cards every month without having the hassle of being declined or calling in for a referral.

There are benefits to having good products if they fit your needs. However the reverse isn't always true: just because a card fits someone's needs doesn't make it high end. It could just be that their needs are low-end. Therefore a low-end card works just fine.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.