tag
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Re: Prime Cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I always have felt it can be such an abritrary term, and with the exception of the super rebuilder cards like FP or Credit One that charge you $500 in fees per month to keep, sometimes my attitude is, who cares? If a card works for me and I like the benefits, and it's not charging me some stupid fees, I don't really give a crap whether it's considered "prime" or not. It's all in the eyes of the cardholder. Other than that, it's just a term.

Not trying to attack you OP -- I never understood it, that's all, except like I said, when you're discussing super subprime cards, which you have none of. Does it matter otherwise whether you can consider your cards "prime"? Do they work for you? Do you enjoy the benefits? If the answers are yes and yes, I wouldn't worry about it. JMO.

But to answer the question all of your cards are relatively "prime" and none of them are "subprime" rebuilder cards.

Thanks for your opinion bro! Smiley Happy I enjoy every benefits of my cards, because before i apped for a card i'm really checking if i would really benefit from it. Btw, all my cards except Amazon store card has cash rewards. Smiley Happy

You're a smart cookie and already ahead of the game, then. Some people apply for cards simply because they are popular and regret it because they get little to no benefit out of it.

As I said, I think all of your cards are perfectly good, so I wouldn't fret about any "subprime" thing

I get PLENTY of benefit out of my cool lookin' cards. Smiley Tongue

Oh god... This will probably the most talked about topic of the month.. haha

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Deltadog03 wrote:

I was looking earlier, and maybe I missed this....But is the Barclays rewards mastercard (avg credit) a PRIME?  I didn't think so, not that it really matters that much to me at this point. 

I'm with KDMs comment near the beginning of the thread.  While this generates lots of discussion (as did "How many angels can dance on a pin?) the term really doesn't mean much, outside the obvious cases of FP/Credit One etc.   Prime/subprime relates more to the borrower's status, and thus the associated rates and fees.   So if  a card has high fees without corresponding benefits (and particularly if there are monthly fees) , high APR and very low CL, it's subprime.    Otherwise, it's not.

A real prime card would have APR at the prime rate (of which there are one or two).  But that's not how people seem to use it here.

Message 12 of 25
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Longtimelurker was correct in that the label of subprime relates to the borrowers status.  Borrowers are either prime or subprime depending on their credit profiles.  Then lenders target one group or the other.  If you wonder whether a lender is prime or subprime check their market share and see which pool of borrowers they target. 

Most lenders offer a range of products but it shouldn't be difficult to determine their target audience for the bulk of their lending.

Message 13 of 25
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

It's been said before..if you get use out of your cards it doesn't matter much if it's considered "prime." 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 14 of 25
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

"Prime" cards is a fallacy and ONLY termed as such by cardholders according to an analyst on another forum.

He, and his colleagues, ONLY look at the CL and history. The higher the credit line and longer the clean history, the better. Regardless of Cap1 or AmEx. Chase or Barclays with a CL of $500 vs BankOne carry the same weight ALTHOUGH, you're not likely to go much higher with BankOne or FP hence their perception as sub-prime.

AUs add NOTHING to enhance your scores or reports BUT, they may help the AU somewhat if they elect to apply later to the very same lender.

11/14/14 Total CL $1,100; 6/30/15 Total CL $180K
Message 15 of 25
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

@Deltadog03 wrote:

PERFECT explaination...TY

Its easier to be smug and dismiss any card that one does not deem "prime". If Cap1 had a card with a good limit and say 7.99% APR, its subprime. Take that same card and put AMEX on the front and give it a 34.99% APR and its "prime".

That would be a truly droolworthy card, especially if it had rewards! Without rewards, it's essentially my Barclaycard Ring.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 16 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Are my cards considered Prime cards?

OP, I have decided to restart your thread in order for you to get proper feedback from the community on your question.   Unfortunately, a number of responses in the original thread did not meet our Community Guidelines or Terms or Services and removal was necessary.   

IMHO, I think "Prime" is much harder to define than "subprime."   "Prime," much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.   Everyone is bound to have a different interpretation.  I could AMEX and Chase prime lenders, I'd consider BoA to have prime products, and I'd consider Cap One to have prime and subprime product, and I'd say Sync is somewhere in the middle.   And someone else will answer differently.

Let's find out...

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 17 of 25
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

I don't know what you found to be wrong with the previous responses but they seemed to answer his questions fine. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 18 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@mitchblue wrote:

I don't know what you found to be wrong with the previous responses but they seemed to answer his questions fine. 

Unfortunately, there were some issues toward the end of the old thread that took away from the discussion.   Most members gave great opinions at the beginning.   Perhaps the topic doesn't need further revisiting, but I did want to give our members a positve opportunity.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 19 of 25
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

Perhaps you should research the old phrase, "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". It's insulting that you delete the "good with the bad". Or perhaps you didn't like my generic reference, god forbid, to other forums?

Kudos for the heavy handed oversight and censorship

11/14/14 Total CL $1,100; 6/30/15 Total CL $180K
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.