Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime card that I should apply for

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Prime card that I should apply for

@sandsanta wrote:

Not to be a hater but I don't think most peoples spend profile lends them to benefits significantly from an Amex, most of which have AF's that push spend requirements pretty high. 

uhh? even their super cheap serve card can get amex offers.... how can u say most peoples spend profiles wouldnt benefit from 3 grand free? Because that is how much free money I have received form amex offers just from Softcard/Isis alone.  Go buy 4 bottles of water at 20 cents each and have instant 5 dollar credit at vending machine. I was buying fraps, tums, gum, etc, but mostly when a relative was in the hospital for 2 months my god it was like a god send. 20 off 40 at least 10 times 15 off 25 5 or more, do i need to continue?

yes their amex offers can be lame, often times targeted.... but heck, if a person is noticing deals, like for best buy, staples, walmart, sams club, hilton etc and they are msising out on savings, then why not?

I am not some huge advocate for Amex though. I hate how its not accepted as widely as Visa/mc/discover. I have a 75 percent chance a reatiler will say yes at least. I only keep adding more cards because of their deals. So actually, i have FOUR amex cards if I count my ISIS/softcard Serve card lol.

Message 11 of 19
ceejx
Established Contributor

Honestly, I'd wait until your score jumped a little higher and go for the Chase Freedom (yeah, visa not amex), and open a checking account to go with it. That's the best card I have in my portfolio and I'm glad I got it. I was at about 690 when I apped for it and got a 3K limit. IMHO it's the best reward scheme out there.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

what sandsanta said is closer to accurate. not everyone benefits from certain cards. there are less cards i do benefit from than don't.

feature dumping will never sell anything. features tell, benefits sell. remember that Smiley Wink

ironically it even applies to relationships lol
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went sneaky and got a Dillards Amex just to get Twitter offers. Made 90 bucks in a month with that bad boy. I got my ED with a sub 690 score.

I say its worth it to have some form of amex.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since in your second question you asked about Amex, I would have to agree with NRB that at your scores, Delta might be the best fit if you're just looking for your foot in the door with Amex. Your scores would still be a little borderline, but I would say you would have a decent chance..

That said, since in your first question, you just asked about prime cards in general (and not specifically AMEX), if I might make a recommendation, I would say Chase Freedom might be a good choice with an EX FICO in the 660s. You would have a higher chance of approval, in all likelihood, for one thing. Also, Freedom is a card that generally people keep for the long haul (no annual fee, good 5% categories). Whereas, Delta often ends up being a churn and burn kind of card unless you fly with Delta a lot, because of its annual fee.

Message 15 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
NRV525 - no. it's nothing like asking why someone needs a credit card. if someone "needs" a credit card then they're setting themselves up for failure. credit cards should be our financial tools to make money or save money, that's it.

also, you just told me FEATURES of the amex, but not one benefit that applies to the OP. MR points aren't for everyone, and that includes me. my amex ED was a mistake. completely useless to me.

so, back to the question: OP, why do you need an amex?

Ok, so here's the direct benefit reason I keep my Delta Gold AMEX card. For $95 per year, I get benefits when I fly Delta for work, whether it's 1 time or 3 times a year, which are virtually equivalent to having Silver Medallion status. To otherwise get Silver status, I'd have to fly at least 25,000 miles and spend $2,500 on tickets to get Silver status for the next year, but my travel isn't that consistent, so I pay for the priviledges. I get early boarding on the plane. I get my first bag checked free. I can get in a Delta lounge if I have a long layover. The spend that I put on the card also aligns with the SkyMiles I'm earning from flying on trips, they add together. That may or may not align with the actual experience of others, but for no AF the first year, and a bonus good for a round trip ticket, it's a fun way to find out how the card works and whether it might be beneficial long term. There's also no AF cards this can be PC'd into after 12 months, such as the Hilton HHonors card. And, getting the first AMEX leads to the improved liklihood of getting other AMEX cards.

Just to reiterate, the OP asked which AMEX is likely to be approved at a certain score. That's all the question was about. Both you and I do not know enough else about the OP's plans or situation to go any further than that.

Cheers!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 16 of 19
sandsanta
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sandsanta wrote:

Not to be a hater but I don't think most peoples spend profile lends them to benefits significantly from an Amex, most of which have AF's that push spend requirements pretty high. 

uhh? even their super cheap serve card can get amex offers.... how can u say most peoples spend profiles wouldnt benefit from 3 grand free? Because that is how much free money I have received form amex offers just from Softcard/Isis alone.  Go buy 4 bottles of water at 20 cents each and have instant 5 dollar credit at vending machine. I was buying fraps, tums, gum, etc, but mostly when a relative was in the hospital for 2 months my god it was like a god send. 20 off 40 at least 10 times 15 off 25 5 or more, do i need to continue?

yes their amex offers can be lame, often times targeted.... but heck, if a person is noticing deals, like for best buy, staples, walmart, sams club, hilton etc and they are msising out on savings, then why not?

I am not some huge advocate for Amex though. I hate how its not accepted as widely as Visa/mc/discover. I have a 75 percent chance a reatiler will say yes at least. I only keep adding more cards because of their deals. So actually, i have FOUR amex cards if I count my ISIS/softcard Serve card lol.

I've never had a deal pop up that lined up with something that I wanted to spend money on as it apparently did in your case.  Having something pop up for Best Buy when I'm not looking to get anything from Best Buy doesn't really count as savings.  I'm talking more along the lines of using MR points or cashback from BCE/BCP - two things I do regularly with decent spend. 

Message 17 of 19
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Softcard went away, right? And required a specific type of Android phone to work? How is the new Google Wallet arrangement with the AMEX offers?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Softcard went away, right? And required a specific type of Android phone to work? How is the new Google Wallet arrangement with the AMEX offers?

yup. sad times. softcard ended in april. got to keep my serve card for free. its great for bill payments and sending checks.

google wallet i only use with capital one, i highly doubt you would get the amex offer with a contactless transaction unless you had a contactless card and tapped the card.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.