Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime cards??

tag
prabs99
Regular Contributor

Prime cards??

Here are my cards, Do I have any prime cards? How do you know if you have a prime card? I have seen so many conflicting info. Thanks for your help.

Discover It

Amex BCE

Penfed Amex Prem Travel Rewards

Wells Fargo Platinum Rewards

Nordstrom Signature

Home Depot

Cap1 (Plat Visa and Plat MC with Rewards)

Target Visa (Closed by TD bank)

FICO (Discover) 805
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Prime cards??

@prabs99 wrote:

Here are my cards, Do I have any prime cards? How do you know if you have a prime card? I have seen so many conflicting info. Thanks for your help.

Discover It

Amex BCE

Nordstrom Signature

Home Depot

Most people here would count many of these as prime (Discover, Amex, Penfed certainly).

But it really doesn't mean very much, just one of those terms that gets thrown around.   Some cards are clearly subprime, e.g. Credit One and First Premier,  those with a large AF, a monthly fee, and very low CL, the rest are the rest!

Message 2 of 18
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Prime is whatever you want it to mean. Some consider some lenders to be perfect with no flaws while I believe they are trash and not worth my time. You will see on here that most people hate Capital One, so will call them subprime. When Capital One gives them a 10,000 increase and gives them the Venture card, all of a sudden their opinion changes drastically. I say as long as you are happy with the card, then its "prime".

Message 3 of 18
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@prabs99 wrote:

Discover It

Amex BCE

Nordstrom Signature

Home Depot

I bolded the "definites", and italicized the "maybes". Target gets both qualifications...I see you had a Visa, which means that your scores had to be good enough to get it cobranded...however, I'm hoping your limit isn't ridiculously small on it, either!

What i mean by the "maybes" is that when it comes to store cards, they fall into a category of their own. You don't have to have a "great" score to get them. Usually, initial approval of a lower limit may indicate "subprime", however a higher initial approval limit and/or approval of a cobranded card may indicate "prime" status. Also, growing the lines over time indicates your move from "subprime" to "prime".

Cap One is also an iffy one...were you initially approved for the annual fee, or no annual fee cards? The annual fee ones indicate "subprime", while no annual fee indicates "prime". You can check this on the CapOne website...they note it as average or excellent.

Message 4 of 18
prabs99
Regular Contributor

Discover It  - 5k

Amex BCE - 7k

Penfed Amex Prem Travel Rewards - 12k

Wells Fargo Platinum Rewards - 8k

Nordstrom Signature - 12k

Home Depot -750

Cap1 (Plat Visa and Plat MC with Rewards) - 5k each

Target Visa (Closed by TD bank) - 2.5k

FICO (Discover) 805
Message 5 of 18
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Prime is whatever you want it to mean. Some consider some lenders to be perfect with no flaws while I believe they are trash and not worth my time. You will see on here that most people hate Capital One, so will call them subprime. When Capital One gives them a 10,000 increase and gives them the Venture card, all of a sudden their opinion changes drastically. I say as long as you are happy with the card, then its "prime".

Smiley Very Happy It's fun watching the transition. Capital One has been prime since day one in my book. Although I technically have one of their "prime cards."  I have received so much better service than Chase's CSR's to date. But then again I only get American based reps everytime I call.

Plus my cash rewards are almost instant and I dont have to wait until statement cuts like I do with Chase.

Message 6 of 18
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

The thing with Cap One is that they have both prime and non prime products. They don't treat both sets of customers the same way. 

Message 7 of 18
prabs99
Regular Contributor

I cannot seem to qualify for Chase. I think they hate me, I have a checking and savings with them for 8 years now.

FICO (Discover) 805
Message 8 of 18
Brusilov
Established Contributor

I know it's probably somewhat subjective but I would say anything that requires at least a 680-720 FICO to be approved.

Penfed,

BofA,

Chase,

Discover,

Amex,

Citi

(To name a few)

Message 9 of 18
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

The thing with Cap One is that they have both prime and non prime products. They don't treat both sets of customers the same way. 

I think ppl forget this too. I would stay away from the cards with AF if you want decent service.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.