cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime credit cards versus sub-prime credit cards?

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Prime credit cards versus sub-prime credit cards?

@vikingred wrote:

I checked that other link.  There is NO WAY cap1 is a "prime lender" or "prime card".  I say subprime.  Trash card.

I would say depend on its uses it can be either prime or subprime. I think their venture and QS can be considered prime, but it really depends on which card you are talking about. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 41 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

The the way I see it, is you can get prime cards with sub-prime APR and limits or you can get sub-prime cards with prime APR and limits. After all in the end isn't that all that matters. Obviously certain lenders cater to certain clientele so it varies.
Message 42 of 87
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

ROFL, so one new thing on the myFICO update, we get reason codes (aka reasons your score ain't higher) now too with the additional scores.  Only have the one store card, and my only other questionable one is listed as pure Installment loan when I look at it.

Look what's on my EQ Beacon 5.0 Smiley Happy

• You have a consumer finance account on your credit report.

So N>0 may be a problem!  Admittedly it's in the 4th spot which we routinely tell people to ignore heh.

ETA: interesting, the EQ Beacon 5.0 classic and auto-enhanced scores have that negative factor for EQ, but the FICO 8 models don't; Bankcard does not (has my installment loan balances are too high, which has to be a ratio given it's a pair of secured loans, and may explain the drop from losing the auto loan, wish I had this data access a few months ago) and EX is mostly complaining about installment loan balances the CFA listing is nowhere to be found on the FICO 8 or FICO 98 versions listed.

@If you think that is ridiculous, my only negative, and it only shows up on Equifax is that my util is too high @ 7% - "Fico High Achievers generally have util less than 6%"  or some sh*t like that...  What it really means is I'm just lazy and dont PIF before the statement cuts. I wait for the bill to generate first. 

Message 43 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

ROFL, so one new thing on the myFICO update, we get reason codes (aka reasons your score ain't higher) now too with the additional scores.  Only have the one store card, and my only other questionable one is listed as pure Installment loan when I look at it.

Look what's on my EQ Beacon 5.0 Smiley Happy

• You have a consumer finance account on your credit report.

So N>0 may be a problem!  Admittedly it's in the 4th spot which we routinely tell people to ignore heh.

ETA: interesting, the EQ Beacon 5.0 classic and auto-enhanced scores have that negative factor for EQ, but the FICO 8 models don't; Bankcard does not (has my installment loan balances are too high, which has to be a ratio given it's a pair of secured loans, and may explain the drop from losing the auto loan, wish I had this data access a few months ago) and EX is mostly complaining about installment loan balances the CFA listing is nowhere to be found on the FICO 8 or FICO 98 versions listed.

@If you think that is ridiculous, my only negative, and it only shows up on Equifax is that my util is too high @ 7% - "Fico High Achievers generally have util less than 6%"  or some sh*t like that...  What it really means is I'm just lazy and dont PIF before the statement cuts. I wait for the bill to generate first. 

Same here.

Message 44 of 87
Lyythine
Established Contributor

And to make it worse, I sometimes also pay with checks, in duplicate of course Smiley Wink  I like my paper trails.

Message 45 of 87
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lyythine wrote:

And to make it worse, I sometimes also pay with checks, in duplicate of course Smiley Wink  I like my paper trails.

Now, THAT, I don't do.

Message 46 of 87
ddemari
Super Contributor

hahaha

Message 47 of 87
vikingred
Frequent Contributor

People still use checks?  Wow.

Message 48 of 87
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@vikingred wrote:

Yep, they do. I just had to write one yesterday! (They wouldn't take credit cards)

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 49 of 87
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@vikingred wrote:

Yes. They do! I still enjoy writing checks for most of my bills. There is something more reassuring of having a copy of the check, date, amount, etc:  My opinion only, of course - I also keep cash in my safe, a la great depression style savings tactics.  I am fully aware it loses value the longer it sits, but it makes me feel better to know that I have a readily available resource in case of emergency.

Message 50 of 87
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.