Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proactively Closed Barclays Ring

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Proactively Closed Barclays Ring

I feel like a huge burden is been lifted.

In other hands with another lender the 8% Ring Card would be a great useful card asset. However in the control of such an unpredictable lender as barclays who routinely dashes plenty of their cardholders expectations by unilaterally cutting limits, and many times on only a whim and a whisper, i decided today finally that they are simply too much of a risk to depend on for stability, so they are now dismissed from off my profile.

While they may be completely reasonable in some of the aa actions that we often read about on them from our fellow forum members here, their company card policy and indeed, their timid behavior is just not worth having to look over your shoulder and worry if you might be next.

They seem to do far too much of it for their own good IMHO and although i have never given them any reason to drop the hammer on my only card account with them in over (2) years, like many of you, i also have long term plans in continuing to build a respectable enough profile that can last.

So today i've exercised my right to proactively take precaution with my own risk assessment of them and deem them far too unreliable.

It's a real boost to confidence to finally be free of any barclays now.

No one should ever have to feel hostage to them and that's certainly not a very effective business model if you ask me.

(PS) Now a ton of new barclays approvals will magically appear in the approvals forum Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Re: Proactively Closed Barclays Ring

You....AA'd Barclays Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

I love it.

Message 2 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. Sounds like you made a very rational decision.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

HaHa, nice move. I did the same thing with my Sallie Mae card last month for the same reasoning. It's nice to see I am not alone.
Message 4 of 77
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Falere wrote:

You....AA'd Barclays Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

I love it.

They obviously didn't sound very happy about it and for once it was THEY who sounded nervous and interrogated over this decision.

I also made sure to go straight thru to a U/W to ensure that it is officially "closed at consumer request", and that a letter will be expected stating this very thing.

Message 5 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgive my ignorance but what is U/W?

Message 6 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but what is U/W?

underwriter - someone who makes decisions regarding whether and to what extend a company lends money or credit to a customer

Message 7 of 77
elim
Senior Contributor

just checked my limit with fingers crossed... still there.  I envy you right now.

congrats   :]

Message 8 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats OP.  I totally agree if you are not comfortable with a company and they make you nervous about what they have done to others and what they might do to you, then they should be cut off.  

Message 9 of 77
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@elim wrote:

just checked my limit with fingers crossed... still there.  I envy you right now.

congrats   :]

It was not a move that i anticipated would have to come up for consideration before, or a decision taken lightly, but it became necessary to peel them away for the greater good going forward.

It's not even the stagnant credit limit for (2) years without any increase as much but more their poison pill potential which doesn't lend much if any confidence for current and/or future expectations in comparison to their competitors. 

We all must do what's best for our own future and barclays is proven much too risky to carry into the future alongside other card accounts given their current negative reputation with plenty enough cardholders already, in stripping away lines which they seem to embrace with far more frequency then i'm comfortable with.

Message 10 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.