Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Making Speedpay/WU Payments

tag
dallasareaguy
Frequent Contributor

Problems Making Speedpay/WU Payments

So, both of my vehicles allow online payments via Speedpay/Western Union. I would love to be able to make these payments using my Capital One cards but when I attempt to do so, it declines the charge (presuming because it considers Western Union to be a Cash Advance company?)... just curious if anyone else has had this problem and whether you can get Capital One to allow the purchases on a monthly basis. I mean, why make a car payment via ACH/bank if you can earn rewards using your mastercard, right? Making a $523 car payment results in $7.23 back with my 1.5% cash back....

CapOne QS
$10,250

AMEX Delta Gold
$15,000

AMEX BCE
$5,000

AMEX BCP
$1,000

AMEX HHonors
$1,600

Discover it
$2,000
FICO8 Scores:
EQ: 648
TU: 654
EX: 691

(as of 07/15/2017)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Problems Making Speedpay/WU Payments

@dallasareaguy wrote:

So, both of my vehicles allow online payments via Speedpay/Western Union. I would love to be able to make these payments using my Capital One cards but when I attempt to do so, it declines the charge (presuming because it considers Western Union to be a Cash Advance company?)... just curious if anyone else has had this problem and whether you can get Capital One to allow the purchases on a monthly basis. I mean, why make a car payment via ACH/bank if you can earn rewards using your mastercard, right? Making a $523 car payment results in $7.23 back with my 1.5% cash back....

It may result in 7.23$ back, but if it were to charge it as a cash advance you'd be out $15.69 in fees, and then interest with no grace period. 

FPL (The electric company where I live) doesn't allow you to pay your bill with a credit card on their site, it instead takes you to western union where it says "this may be charged as a cash advance" 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Problems Making Speedpay/WU Payments

you might have problem with it due to their aggressive fraud protection monitoring, if it's because of that, then you might receive a phone call from capital one in couple days.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.