Reply
tig
New Member
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎03-24-2008
0

Problems with Chase - what do I do?

I have a credit card with Chase but do not use it...I have it because I carried a balance with Providian and Providian became Chase.  The Amount I had with Providian was a balance transfer and gave me a very low interest rate.

Chase just notified me that they were raising the rate for new purchases to 16.24% and that if I did not agree to this  then I have tilll Aust 19 to close.  Should I close?  Will it hurt or help my credit rating to close ?  Will it hurt or help my credit rating if I don't close but continue to not use my card.

 

Soon after I received the latter notification, I received another letterfrom Chase saying they have decreased my credit line ue to:

1. "Too few accounts with time on file greater than 36 months" --what does that mean?

2.  "Bankcard balance grew too fast compared to credit limit and time on file"  - please explain this...this is confusing because I did not even use the card so the balance never grew, it only got less and less.

 

What are your recommendations regarding these situations?

Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,923
Registered: ‎04-19-2009
0

Re: Problems with Chase - what do I do?

[ Edited ]

tig wrote:

I have a credit card with Chase but do not use it...I have it because I carried a balance with Providian and Providian became Chase.  The Amount I had with Providian was a balance transfer and gave me a very low interest rate.

Chase just notified me that they were raising the rate for new purchases to 16.24% and that if I did not agree to this  then I have tilll Aust 19 to close.  Should I close?  Will it hurt or help my credit rating to close ?  Will it hurt or help my credit rating if I don't close but continue to not use my card.

 

Soon after I received the latter notification, I received another letterfrom Chase saying they have decreased my credit line ue to:

1. "Too few accounts with time on file greater than 36 months" --what does that mean?

2.  "Bankcard balance grew too fast compared to credit limit and time on file"  - please explain this...this is confusing because I did not even use the card so the balance never grew, it only got less and less.

 

What are your recommendations regarding these situations?


Welcom to the forum, tig. 

 

To further assist you we are going to need some more information (both specific to this account and general credit picture).

 

To further inform yourself you need to read this carefully:

 

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/why-closing-an-account-hurts-score.aspx

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-28-2009 11:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,923
Registered: ‎04-19-2009
0

Re: Problems with Chase - what do I do?

[ Edited ]
You are going to get much better assistance if you post your entire situation in this thread, tig.
Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-28-2009 11:29 PM
Established Member
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎04-09-2008
0

Re: Problems with Chase - what do I do?

Could be worse. I had a $0 Balance on a WaMu Visa 1,800 Limit That I used every month for gas and coffee and the sent me a Letter last week stating they were closing my account and then sent a letter yesterday stating they were increasing my Apr to 16.24 I dont no if my account is open or close Chase is playing mind games....

EQ:681
TU:682
EX:???
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,923
Registered: ‎04-19-2009
0

Re: Problems with Chase - what do I do?


ice0901 wrote:

Could be worse. I had a $0 Balance on a WaMu Visa 1,800 Limit That I used every month for gas and coffee and the sent me a Letter last week stating they were closing my account and then sent a letter yesterday stating they were increasing my Apr to 16.24 I dont no if my account is open or close Chase is playing mind games....


 

If you have a balance and your account is going to be closed anyway you need to opt out.
tig
New Member
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎03-24-2008
0

Re: Problems with Chase - what do I do?

how do i post it on the thread you are recommending?
Established Contributor
Posts: 645
Registered: ‎10-24-2007
0

Re: Problems with Chase - what do I do?


tig wrote:
how do i post it on the thread you are recommending?

 

She's only recommending that you read the above linked page. She asked that you give more information here on this thread.
Established Contributor
Posts: 586
Registered: ‎03-03-2009
0

Re: Problems with Chase - what do I do?

If you have a balance on the Chase card, you should close it and pay it off at the current interest rate. If you don't have a balance or if it's a small balance that you can pay off quickly, then keep the account open for age
tig
New Member
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎03-24-2008
0

Re: Problems with Chase - what do I do?

I am hesitating to close it becaause I keep reading that each time a credit card is closed it hurts the credit scote.  Please give feedback regarding this.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Problems with Chase - what do I do?


tig wrote:
I am hesitating to close it becaause I keep reading that each time a credit card is closed it hurts the credit scote.  Please give feedback regarding this.

Please read fused's Closing Credit Cards.

If you do it right, there is no immediate hit on your scores.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.