Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Change from Slate to Freedom -- very easy/BofA uses TU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Product Change from Slate to Freedom -- very easy/BofA uses TU

Just thought I'd share this information with the community. I called Chase this a.m. to inquire about a product change from my Slate Chase card to the Freedom card. The woman on the phone said she could do it for me right then and there -- no hard pull. My CL stayed the same. So that was nice--and easy.

However, despite giving me the Chase Freedom card (which, by all information on this board, is a card reserved for those with good credit) they said I do not qualify for an APR decrease (it's currently at 27%).  Figure that one out.

Bank of America added an annual fee to my MBNA account in May after doing a periodic review of my credit report (unbeknownst to me). They pulled TU, the one report in which I am below 700.

Those are my two credit cards. I'm very irked about the annual fee BofA slapped on my card, which was 11 years old and a card that did not have a SINGLE late payment over its entire history. But it doesn't matter to them, apparently. The woman on the phone actually seemed to feel sorry for me, but she said all I could do was apply for a different no-fee card and close this one. Not sure what to do as I would like to stick it to them by closing the account, but given that would cut down my available debt, I don't want to.

May still close it, apply for a new Citi card with no fee and be done with it. Just not sure.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Product Change from Slate to Freedom -- very easy/BofA uses TU

I'm glad you were able to do the product change. I've been trying to PC from Slate to Freedom for each of the 3 months I've had my new card. I don't know if its because I'm only 20 or because I've only had the account open for 3 months, but NO ONE will do it. I've called CS many times and even tried the backdoor number. Everyone tells me I'm ineligible and will not give me a reason.

Message 2 of 30
MagicShot
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm glad you were able to do the product change. I've been trying to PC from Slate to Freedom for each of the 3 months I've had my new card. I don't know if its because I'm only 20 or because I've only had the account open for 3 months, but NO ONE will do it. I've called CS many times and even tried the backdoor number. Everyone tells me I'm ineligible and will not give me a reason.

Do you know your fico scores?

Message 3 of 30
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

Yes agreed if you are eligible they make it very easy, I was recently able to PC both my old flexible rewards cards to Freedom, however the accounts were pretty old (around 9 years old), took less than 5 minutes to get the account swapped.  

Bank of America added AF's to a specific percentage of its customer base in May, I dont think it was anything specific to your account, it was covered in the media pretty heavily, I believe this was related to the CARD act. I also had an old account which they added an AF to around that time, I am pretty much keeping that account open for AAOA.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

when I applied for the Slate card, they sent me a letter stating my EQ fico score was a 684. I don't know about the rest of them though. I do know I have numerous credit inquiries which is certainly hurting my score. I am no longer applying for any more credit for a while.

Message 5 of 30
john398
Senior Contributor

I personally think Chase is being more flexable with the Freedom card since they can no long make money off there debit cards....

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Chase Slate card account was 9 years old and in good standing. Maybe the account history had something to do with it.

Message 7 of 30
MagicShot
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My Chase Slate card account was 9 years old and in good standing. Maybe the account history had something to do with it.

My Chase card was brought over from MaMu and it has decreased in CL and they wont convert it either. its been 3 years since they took MaMu assets and still they treet me and my DW like crap.

Message 8 of 30
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

Which Chase card do you have MagicShot ?  I know many of the Wamu cards were subprime and maybe that makes a difference when you are trying to PC down the line.

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 30
MagicShot
Contributor

@CreditMuppet wrote:

Which Chase card do you have ErinW43?  I know many of the Wamu cards were subprime and maybe that makes a difference when you are trying to PC down the line.

I had a good interest rate and like 4 times the CL with MaMu, its also one of my older card, is the only reason I have been keeping it open.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.