cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Change with AMEX - Interesting info!

tag
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Product Change with AMEX - Interesting info!

Hey Folks,

Found out some interesting stuff.  I called to inquire about a CLI for my measly $600 CL on the AMEX Starwood Preferred (since it was over 90 days since I last asked) and naturally, I was turned down -- I just don't get it with them, but I digress (Yay! $15k limit with Continental OnePass Plus - eat it AMEX) Before I asked why I said, well I have the Zync and I'm happy with it, but I really was thinking of getting rid of my AMEX SPG and thinking of applying for the AMEX Sky Preferred -- it works for me, this would be used when I do not use Continental or AA for smaller flights or when they don't have good deals so why not?

Anyway, she said "Oh, you can just do a simple product change -- you do not need to apply for a new card. I can change you to Amex Delta, Blue Cash, Blue Sky, or Blue Sky Preferred." I said, "really!?" The product change was free...no pulls of any sort and no questions asked.  However, she said did you want to try to pull a CLI for this? I said, isn't it the same thing? She said not necessarily, it has a different criteria sometimes.  So I tried...and I got it increased to $1200 (double).  Say what? What the heck? I have no clue what is different. It's good for one AMEX card but not another? LOL!

Anyway, she did say that my account number will not change, nor will history of the account. She said a name change will occur on your credit report, that's it. 

I asked about a product change with Zync and she said I'd have to app for a new charge card so I'll keep Zync for the time being.  

As far as my reason, I got transfered to the CLI department and they said it was because I had too much revolving debt.  I said, I'm at 3% util, how is that too much? What is the date of this report? She said 11/5...at 11/5 and it says 6%...Really? Yet I got a CLI for the product change.  WEIRDOS!!!

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Re: Product Change with AMEX - Interesting info!

That's funny, I spoke to a CSR the other day and she said that a Zync can be upgraded to another charge card without further applications.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 2 of 10
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Really? This lady told me she couldn't.  Funny you say that too, I literally just logged in because I had to login and it said I was pre-approved for the AMEX Gold and AMEX Platinum.  And it said, "Click here to upgrade your card." So I'm wondering then if it is possible and maybe she just didn't know? 

I do fly a lot, so AMEX Platinum would benefit me but I do not feel good about the annual fee. Smiley Indifferent

===========
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 3 of 10
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Ah ha! I just called AMEX just now and this lady said you cannot product change from Zync to Green or any other charge card family member. She said you could do it if you were Green and wanted to go to Gold and then go from Gold/Gold Premium Rewards to Platinum but not from Zync,  while it is a charge card she said, it holds a lower criteria of qualification and wouldn't be eligible for a product change.

===========
Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I product changed from Green to Zync.  I think the only thing is, now you are required to have the card at least a year before PC.  But if you are being offered upgrades online it sounds like you can PC

Message 5 of 10
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

I know, right? That's what seems odd to me.  Unless it was misleading in the sense of needing a new product approval. However, I neglected to mention that if you do want to apply for a new card the lady told me it is a soft pull and not a hard bull since they pull fresh each month for the most part.

Again, that info could be up for dispute.

===========
Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@ArisGreek wrote:

I know, right? That's what seems odd to me.  Unless it was misleading in the sense of needing a new product approval. However, I neglected to mention that if you do want to apply for a new card the lady told me it is a soft pull and not a hard bull since they pull fresh each month for the most part.

Again, that info could be up for dispute.

Been lots of talk about soft pull for new apps in the past if current cardholder... it's always been hard for people.

Message 7 of 10
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, when I applied for Zync on 9/5/10 they definitely pulled hard.  They said if you call in and apply it's a soft or if you apply while logged in to your online account. I do not think I was at the time, hence my hard pull. Well regardless...I'm not apping with AMEX anyway, no need to at this point. I'm content with my portfolio of cards.

===========
Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Creditaddict wrote:

I product changed from Green to Zync.  I think the only thing is, now you are required to have the card at least a year before PC.  But if you are being offered upgrades online it sounds like you can PC

Maybe because you were going downhill, so to speak? In other words, it's easier to get a Zync than a Green, so if you are OK for a Green, you're automatically OK for a Zync.

But nice not vice versa, which would fit with what another poster was told.

If I've gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick, my apologies. My head started swimming part way through this thread! Smiley Tongue

eta: "nice vice versa"??

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
OnWayUpinTexas
Regular Contributor

Great info on this post Aris and Hauling ...

Starting Score: 542 (in 2006)
Current Score: 661 (TU FICO), 677 (EQ FICO), 672 (EX FICO)
Goal Score: 750+
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.