cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros/cons to combining my new cap one cards...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pros/cons to combining my new cap one cards...

Hi Everyone,

I know this has been discussed, and I’ve read a lot of the megathread, but I really couldn’t find the specific answer to my question. I have 2 cap 1 cards (both received CLI yesterday). I have the venture and the quicksilver. Both cards are 6 months old, and I really only use my quicksilver card.

What would be a reason as to why I shouldn’t try to combine them into one card with a 30k limit, vs 2 cards split. I know it’ll show as a closed account, but outside of that, is there anything that I should consider as to why I shouldn’t combine them?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Pros/cons to combining my new cap one cards...

1. Higher limits usually then get you higher limits with other bank approvals and CLI's.

2. If you are only using your Quicksilver, if you combine your cards and have a $30k limit, you can use much more of your CL without hurting your util. at all.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response! Would it look bad to do this considering they are both new accounts (6 months old?)

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I know this has been discussed, and I’ve read a lot of the megathread, but I really couldn’t find the specific answer to my question. I have 2 cap 1 cards (both received CLI yesterday). I have the venture and the quicksilver. Both cards are 6 months old, and I really only use my quicksilver card.

What would be a reason as to why I shouldn’t try to combine them into one card with a 30k limit, vs 2 cards split. I know it’ll show as a closed account, but outside of that, is there anything that I should consider as to why I shouldn’t combine them?

Not sure if this is what you meant by showing as a closed account, but your AAoA also won't get a boost from the second card any more.  For example: if you keep both cards open, in 2 months your AAoA will be 8 months (assuming these are the only two cards you have).  However, if you combine now and close, then in 2 months your AAoA will be 7 months (open is 8 and closed is 6).  Depending on the size and age of your file this may or may not be a big issue, but it is something else to be aware of.

Message 4 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the response! Would it look bad to do this considering they are both new accounts (6 months old?)

I think the larger CL will be better than any negatives of closing and the closed account will continue to report for 10 years so I don't think at all.

Message 5 of 6
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is what you meant by showing as a closed account, but your AAoA also won't get a boost from the second card any more.  For example: if you keep both cards open, in 2 months your AAoA will be 8 months (assuming these are the only two cards you have).  However, if you combine now and close, then in 2 months your AAoA will be 7 months (open is 8 and closed is 6).  Depending on the size and age of your file this may or may not be a big issue, but it is something else to be aware of.

ummm thay is not how AAoA works with closed accounts....

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.