cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulled Experian and thinking of adjusting strategy. Thoughts?

tag
nodak64
Established Member

Pulled Experian and thinking of adjusting strategy. Thoughts?

My TU and EQ scores have been steadily improving through my rebuild, up to 670 ish. I apped for and recieved a PRG 3 months ago. I also got a walmart card at the same time. I had planned on gardening until Jan and apping for a BCE and an SPG, to get max backdating. I pulled my Experian today and to my astonishment my score is 736!!! None of my baddies are on there and my late on my student loans from 3 years ago is also not showing. 7 accounts in good standing. 2 accounts opened in last year, average age is only like a year and a half (im 22) But I have good income at 90k.

Id like to be approved for at least 2k lines but by current highest is 700 on cc and 1000 on store card.

Should i go for it?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Pulled Experian and thinking of adjusting strategy. Thoughts?

Well, you didn't really say what your plan was, other than your Experian score is pretty good at the moment.

Were you planning to apply for a Chase Freedom, since they usually pull Experian, and hope for a good limit? That has a chance of working I suppose.

American Express pulled TU when I applied. YMMV,

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Chase actually pulls any of the three depending where you live; Amex typically pulls EX, Chase not so much.

OP: You could do this now, it's basically what I did with my own BCP (4 months post Zync, and I thought I got lucky) and you might be approved.  Amex initial limit doesn't matter because it has CLI policies which are second to maybe only GE... and from my perspective a limit from Amex is worth a lot more than a limit from a store card.

If you have nothing going on right now, I might take the flier just to go and get the CLI chances earlier thereby accellerating your own credit profile building, much like I'm attempting to do.  Really max backdating is irrelevant compared to getting the payment history on the card, or in our case of limit chasing, getting additional CLI opportunties by having the traeline earlier.  I don't know what your goals are but one of mine was to have a tradeline >5K limit by the end of the year, mostly to set myself up for eventual Siggy level approvals in 2014/2015 whenever I get to applying for them.

I wouldn't apply Chase right now, they're likely to stick you with a $500-1K starter limit; better off going with Amex first, building the limit there over time, and then applying Chase seemingly.

You'll probably be fine with either plan, 99% worst case Amex denies you with a SP, just because you have a 736 on the EX '08 here doesn't mean you'll automagically be approved, but it's certainly a useful datapoint.

        
Message 3 of 13
nodak64
Established Member

Approved for SPG!!! Gonna hold off on BCE as I dont really need it. Just was thinking of the backdating but what Revelate said about backdating being not that important convined me otherwise.

Definitely my first very prime card. Feels good.

Message 4 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your approval. Some would consider the PRG prime too.
Message 5 of 13
Express
Frequent Contributor

@nodak64 wrote:

Approved for SPG!!! Gonna hold off on BCE as I dont really need it. Just was thinking of the backdating but what Revelate said about backdating being not that important convined me otherwise.

Definitely my first very prime card. Feels good.

Congrats! Welcome to the Amex Family Smiley Very Happy

Can I ask what is you CL?

CL $408,200
Message 6 of 13
nodak64
Established Member

Well impulsed apped for chase freedom...... Approved for 2k.

Impromtu App spree. Gonna try and get us bank to unsecured my card.

Message 7 of 13
nodak64
Established Member

Thank you! I dont know what my SPG limit is it did not say. Hasnt showed up on my account login yet.

Message 8 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 13
Express
Frequent Contributor

@nodak64 wrote:

Well impulsed apped for chase freedom...... Approved for 2k.

Impromtu App spree. Gonna try and get us bank to unsecured my card.

Nice!Smiley Very Happy

CL $408,200
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.