Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Punished by Barclay's.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Punished by Barclay's.

My finance company is my local credit union. Family Savings Credit Union.
Message 11 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is EXACTLY why you set your cash advance limit to 0!!!!!

But if you do that, doesn't the transaction get declined? 

Yes, IF the transaction gets treated like a cash advance.   Nixon's point was to avoid being surprised by something turning out to be a cash advance.

This isn't always perfect.   For example, if you buy gift cards directly from Amex, for a lot of  credit cards the purchase is initially treated as a  Cash Advance but posts as a purchase.  If your CA limit is set to 0, the transaction is declined unnecesarilty.

Message 12 of 46
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

Since this is a case of basically paying one loan with another loan, I would agree with Barclays on it being a cash advance. 

That being said, I would call and try to make a case to have the fee waived. Or you can message them on FB... the one time I did that someone called us, and they were extremely accomodating. 

I sent them a SM, asking them to remove the cash advance fee and treat the transaction as a purchase. We'll see if they take pity on my oversight. 

Message 13 of 46
icyhot
Valued Contributor

That's crazy! If that was the case then why wouldn't CCCs treat down payments on a car as a cash advance? I'd revisit their T&C for sure
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 14 of 46
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
That's crazy! If that was the case then why wouldn't CCCs treat down payments on a car as a cash advance? I'd revisit their T&C for sure

Because the downpayment is money going toward directly paying for the car. A loan payment is money going toward paying down a loan. There is a difference.

Message 15 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I learned something tonight - at the expense of the O.P. although I'd never be able to consider using a CC to make my truck payment since it's my credit union that I bank with and the loan is also with.

Message 16 of 46
northface28
Established Contributor

Use ChargeSmart. They charge a fee, but if you want to pay your car payment, via credit card, try them.

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 17 of 46
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

Use ChargeSmart. They charge a fee, but if you want to pay your car payment, via credit card, try them.

Just checked them out. They don't have Audi as a biller. 

Message 18 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely ask for a refund, if you have been a good customer with limited or no fee waivers shouldn't be a problem. That being said I personally feel like it should be counted as a cash advance, paying a loan with borrowed money. But thats just my opinion. 

Message 19 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying a loan with a loan is the reason your roads are paved.
Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.