Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchase a money order with CC???

tag
Muzikdude
Established Member

Purchase a money order with CC???

I need to purchase a money order to send as payment for something. I was going to use cash or debit, as I usually do, but then I remembered that my local supermarket will allow the purchase of money orders on a credit card. I was reading about it online right now, and I read that if you do this, the CCC will likely treat it as a cash advance. Is this true? Is there any way for them to know what I purchased at a supermarket?  I would like to put the purchase on my CC to get the rewards.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Purchase a money order with CC???

It will be treated as a cash advance and not eligible for rewards. Plus it will be subjected to the cash advance APR which is usually higher than your standard APR. Also Cash Advances on credit cards accumulate daily interest.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 24
Muzikdude
Established Member

@maiden_girl wrote:

It will be treated as a cash advance and not eligible for rewards. Plus it will be subjected to the cash advance APR which is usually higher than your standard APR. Also Cash Advances on credit cards accumulate daily interest.

How can they know what was purchased?

Message 3 of 24
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Muzikdude wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

It would be done in the way the purchase is coded to the card issuer.

Message 4 of 24
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Muzikdude wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

It would be done in the way the purchase is coded to the card issuer.

+1.

Message 5 of 24
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

the work around i use for this is to buy prepaid "debit" cards in $500 blocks, use the debit card (pin based) to buy money order (kroger)

Message 6 of 24
Muzikdude
Established Member

@juggalo9er wrote:

the work around i use for this is to buy prepaid "debit" cards in $500 blocks, use the debit card (pin based) to buy money order (kroger)

I see... so these are somehow coded differently than a money order? Where do you buy those from?

Message 7 of 24
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

MANUFACTURED SPENDING IS DISCOURAGED ON THIS BOARD. now strictly for educational purposes: staples, wal-mart, kroger

Message 8 of 24
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

You typically can't purchase money orders with credit cards.

Message 9 of 24
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

I had posted topic about this not too long ago it's good to find out about the pre paid debit deal.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.