Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchase advice. Help!

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Purchase advice. Help!

@kwinks wrote:
Hi so I am in the market to buy a new MacBook Pro. The only thing is I will need to spread out payment over 3 months. I wanted to put it on a card with 0% intro apr and since I just got bcp in January I was thinking I would use that. But now I'm doubting myself because I don't want to get a fr...I know a lot of people say its a burnt out topic, but I just don't want to deal with it. I have nothing to hide just not willing to hand over history.
Soo I ws thinking, ok, maybe I'll apply for Barclays apple ard or chase slate or even the best buy card..but I don't want to risk a hard pull and what if I don't get the 2000 cl I will need to put computer on that. Also I have what I feel like are a lot of inquiries. In the past year I have 8 on TU, 5 of which are from a lease in July, 7 on eq, 2 from that lease. Andnotnsure about ex but I am guessing somewhere around 8.
My scores are currently TU 710 eq 723 and ex was 722 in January before 1 more hp.

My ult is at 37% now but I will pay off amex and a chase card before/if I apply for anything else. Which will bring util down to 13%

So does anyone have experience with Barclays apple, chase slate, and/or best buy card? And what would you do in my situation?

Thanks everyone Smiley Happy

USE THE AMEX, LUKE... (in best Obiwan Kenobi voice).

FR is vastly over-rated and over-exaggerated.  The chances are your purchase will be fine and there will be no issues.

Besides, you may be counting on alternative approvals that might not come your way.  Don't know about Barclays, but I do know that Chase (for the Slate) frowns on excessive inquiries and since they nearly always pull EX (though there are exceptions), those "around 8" inquiries might be off-putting for Chase.  Your util at 37% is higher also than Chase likes, but as you said, getting down to 13% would be beneficial, and your scores would also likely increase. 

Best Buy?  Due to their precarious financial situation, I'd think twice about applying for a Best Buy card.  I know it's not backed by them, but I sure wouldn't purchase from an retailer who, many on Wall Street are saying, won't be around this time next year.  Think about service and support on that MacBook Pro a year from now if BB is not around. 

Message 11 of 15
kwinks
Regular Contributor

Yeah I just realized in how badly best buy is doing. I was searching to see who backs best buy and it is all over the place. Okay so I have decided that amex will be the way to go I guess. Now just to decided between 128 ssd vs 256 ssd. LOL
Message 12 of 15
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@kwinks wrote:
Yeah I just realized in how badly best buy is doing. I was searching to see who backs best buy and it is all over the place. Okay so I have decided that amex will be the way to go I guess. Now just to decided between 128 ssd vs 256 ssd. LOL

Go with the 256 ssd...you'll be glad you did in the future!  Smiley Happy

I also give dating advice, do weddings and bar mitzvahs...!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 15
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

I'd stay away from the Appl Barclay I have heard alot of people say it is really hard to get.

and +1 for 256GB SSD. My g/f has 128GB SSD and we constatly fill it up OBVIOUSLY DOWNLOADING MOVIES LEGALLY

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 14 of 15
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@kwinks wrote:

I thought the drives were larger than this, my MBP Retina 15" has the 512 but I now wish I had gotten the 768. Or these are the specs for the 13"... off to the apple store...

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.