tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Purchases that can harm your credit?

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
gheedorah
Established Member

Re: Purchases that can harm your credit?

Ha. Interesting stuff.

Thank you for the link!

Message 2 of 37
Cali_Credit
Frequent Contributor

BS in my opinion =)
Current Fico's: TU 797 / EQ 785 / EX 775
Wallet: US Bank Business Edge $16,000 I Chase Ink $18,500 | US Bank Cash + Visa Sig $15,000 | Amex PRG NSL | Barclay Arrival+ WMC $10,000 l Amex BCP $20,000 | PenFed Visa Sig $9,000 | DCU Plat. $10,000 | Logix $10,000 | Discover $18,900 | WalMart $10,000 | Paypal MC $15,000 | Barclay NFL $3,400 | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMC $34,500 | J C Penny $5000 | Target $2000 13 Personal & 2 Business CreditCards
Message 3 of 37
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

Well if you think about it!!!! most of it makes sense

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 4 of 37
CS800
Super Contributor

Lottery tickets? In MA at least you can't buy lottery tickets using credit cards.

At the end of the day, it's how you repay; not what you buy. Not sure if credit card companies track spending patterns; maybe they do but as long as you pay your bill on time, I don't see it being a problem. Afterall a credit card is to be used to buy things on credit i.e cmoney that you might not currently have to pay said bills and repay overtime with an interest rate where the companies can make money off you.

Message 5 of 37
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

Well analytics are being used every day for everything so do i think there are stats kept on such things YES.  do I think a cc company will close an account because I buy sheets at walmart NO.  What they care about is do you pay on time.  If you pay on time at least the minimum amount they don't give a flip what you buy.

Just my 1/2 a cents worth.

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 6 of 37
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I simply assume that every transaction I make will be seen and analyzed by the creditor.  I stuff everything awkward on a card I don't care about.  If Cap One wants to close my Orchard account, go right ahead.

That said, I doubt Amex will slap me for my occasional bottle of scotch or bar foray.  Quite the opposite I suspect, entertainment screams disposable income, and if not taken to excess (which there's absolutely no chance analyzing my patterns) I doubt they'll take exception to it.

Rest of the list looks fairly legit, but taken as individual transactions in the large morass, it's unlikely to trigger anything other than certain ones like cash advances potentially (which historically have been a kiss of death in some cases).  End of the day, I still suspect one's ability to repay outweighs pretty most transgressions and as long as one's DTI comes out clean on whatever internal algorithm they use, I don't think it's something to lose sleep over and admittedly my Orchard abuse is more if I get defrauded on the tradeline.

        
Message 7 of 37
enharu
Super Contributor

some of the items don't make sense.

lottery tickets? how is that relevant? I can't dream of being rich for just $1?

Traffic tickets? With more and more states / cities going bankrupt, governments are looking to traffic tickets to increase revenue. California is a prime example. Everything is a ripoff, especially if you drive a nice car. If I'm getting ripped off, at least give me my rewards as consolation.

Bargain stores? Makes no sense either. Rich people may not necessarily be splurgers. Poor people may not necessarily be frugal either.

Income taxes? I mean, why not? Got to pay them anyhow, might as well get some rewards out of it.

Personal pampering? What's the clear cut definition of personal pampering? Flying on first class as opposed to Economy is personal pampering. Taking a taxi as opposed to a public bus is personal pampering. Flying on Singapore Airlines instead of United is also personal pampering. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 37
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Pampering and alcohol purchases are surely going to get mine CLD! 😏
Message 9 of 37
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

some of the items don't make sense.

lottery tickets? how is that relevant? I can't dream of being rich for just $1?

Traffic tickets? With more and more states / cities going bankrupt, governments are looking to traffic tickets to increase revenue. California is a prime example. Everything is a ripoff, especially if you drive a nice car. If I'm getting ripped off, at least give me my rewards as consolation.

Bargain stores? Makes no sense either. Rich people may not necessarily be splurgers. Poor people may not necessarily be frugal either.

Income taxes? I mean, why not? Got to pay them anyhow, might as well get some rewards out of it.

Personal pampering? What's the clear cut definition of personal pampering? Flying on first class as opposed to Economy is personal pampering. Taking a taxi as opposed to a public bus is personal pampering. Flying on Singapore Airlines instead of United is also personal pampering. 

Heard on NPR the other day during the discussion of Powerball coming to Cali, that the one of the dudes involved in it doesn't play.  That's sort of telling when any company doesn't eat their own dogfood.

The odds are so astronomically not in favor of the individual lottery ticket purchaser, it's reasonable that financial institutions would simply consider that individual to not meet their definition of "bad at math" but possibly translate that directly to irresponsible and impulsive.  Neither is really where a credit company defines it's ideal consumer.

I missed the personal pampering one, again that screams disposable income and seems silly to me.

Also I think with regards to income tax there's a difference between paying by credit/charge card and then writing a check at the end of the month for the balance, vs. carrying the balance which traditionally means you're spending beyond your means if you can't pay the taxes outright, and that's a legit concern.

        
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.