Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing abroad and cashback/rewards tied to merchant coding

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Purchasing abroad and cashback/rewards tied to merchant coding

I've noticed that when making purchases abroad, the U.S.-based merchant coding almost never applies. I've been living in Europe for a few months now. I went shopping at various grocery store chains. And they all showed up in a collective "other" category. So, ideally, you have your 5% cashback card on you and use it abroad, hoping that after paying 2 to 3% for the foreign transaction fee you would still have 2% cashback. No, no, my friend! That logic doesn't apply. Since the coding almost never shows up properly, you won't get your cashback AND you will have to pay the fee. I've come to love my Cap. One card abroad. It's always accepted (MC), charges no fees and gives me 1% cashback no matter what the category. It saved me a lot of money. And no worries about coding! Are your experiences with foreign transactions and rewards/cashback cards similar? Or am I missing something here?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
dansparis

Re: Purchasing abroad and cashback/rewards tied to merchant coding

Wow, thanks for sharing this info! I was thinking of doing the exact same thing with the 5% cashback cards hoping to reap at least 2-3% back after foreign transaction fees during my study abroad in Europe. Glad to know it doesn't work out in advance; definitely will be applying for the 2 Capital One cards I've been looking into before my trip~

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.