cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push payments from bank or pull from websites?

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Push payments from bank or pull from websites?

How do you pay your credit cards?

I've been going to each card's website to set-up my payments but have been thinking about using my bank's bill paying feature in the future. Does anybody do that, and how has it worked for you?

Are the payments timely?

Have you ever encountered any problems?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Re: Push payments from bank or pull from websites?

How do you pay your credit cards? - I pay via the credit cards site. My cards are only with Cap 1 right now and they have some pretty steller posting timeframes/available credit time frames so really I never see the need to push a payment from my bank unless I need to pay more than 10% of my posted balance but then again it doesn't affect my available credit anyways until things post.

I've been going to each card's website to set-up my payments but have been thinking about using my bank's bill paying feature in the future. Does anybody do that, and how has it worked for you? I've done this with other things - mostly rent and paying back people for stuff (like if I borrowed some cash because I forgot my wallet to get lunch or supper)

Are the payments timely? For me - not really. My bank is a credit union - If I schedule a payment to be made today, it takes 1 week to process and mail. They basically just mail a check - not sure if this is how other banks/CUs do it, but its how mine does it. I do it for my rent mostly when I go on vacation but it sucks because I have to schedule it a week before I want it to arrive and then I loose access to that cash for the week - if I was to pay a credit card this way, it wouldn't really help me and would be quicker to just wait till the purchase posted.

Have you ever encountered any problems? actually yes. It was done through a 3rd party check writting company and it just says on the memo my name - even when I give it my own memo (like acct number, or my apartment number) all it ever printed was my name and at first my landlord had no idea what it was until he saw my name. I'd be afraid to do bill payment with this and not have it posted. Obviously other banks have different systmes. I'd suggest sending your mom/dad/son/daughter - whomever a check for $1 (the service is free for me, so why not) and tell them its coming. Put an account number on it and see how they get it and how long it takes.

edited because it had some weird looking format...

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 2 of 19
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I always pull from the credit card company side, if I have the choice, the first 30 days after I got my AMEX cards had to push thanks to their checking account setup rules and procedures, other than that its always a pull, I want the creditor to know that I made a payment even if doesn't leave my checking account for 2-3 days, upto a 5 days for some creditors. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 19
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

I usually pay mine using the Credit Card's website. Citi, for instance, likes to only accept 4 payments per statement cycle. So I use my banks billpay system when I need to force Citi to take a payment.

Message 4 of 19
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

How do you pay your credit cards?

I've been going to each card's website to set-up my payments but have been thinking about using my bank's bill paying feature in the future. Does anybody do that, and how has it worked for you?

Are the payments timely?

Have you ever encountered any problems?

In the beginning I was paying through most of my credit card's websites.  However, a few months ago, I was having a problem with Capital One holding my payments for like a week.  It was so fustrating!  So I removed my bank account info from their website and began making the payments through my bank's bill payer.  This has prevented them from holding my payments and not creditied them right away.  Haven't had a problem since. 

Are they timely? Yes, however, one thing I have noticed with my Bank's bill payer is that they will not do weekend payments and sometimes not even Monday for whatever reason, so the key is not waiting until right before the due date of a bill.  However, when I paid through my credit cards website, they do accept weekend payments.  SO I  use both.

For Capital One I ALWAYS use my Banks bill payer.  For my other credit cards that I have not had an issue with, I've continued to use their website to make a payment; however, sometimes they do not allow you to make more than 2 payments or something like that, so in those cases, I use my Bank's bill payer to push another payment through it I need to.  

I've never encountered any problems at all using my Bank's bill payer.  It's been very smooth and on time.  Hope this helps!

Slowly building....
Message 5 of 19
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

@PokemonMaster wrote:

I usually pay mine using the Credit Card's website. Citi, for instance, likes to only accept 4 payments per statement cycle. So I use my banks billpay system when I need to force Citi to take a payment.

+1

Slowly building....
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm paying everything from the bank account, as I prefer having everything centralised (utility bills, CCs, etc.)

BofA is pretty good at letting you know when your payment will make it to the lender (typically: by the end of the day for a BofA card, 1-3 days for other cards), which helps me plan accordingly. Since bills are auto-paid in full as soon as they are received by BofA, these short delays do not matter.

Message 7 of 19
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@scarrollprint wrote:

How do you pay your credit cards? - I pay via the credit cards site. My cards are only with Cap 1 right now and they have some pretty steller posting timeframes/available credit time frames so really I never see the need to push a payment from my bank unless I need to pay more than 10% of my posted balance but then again it doesn't affect my available credit anyways until things post.

I've been going to each card's website to set-up my payments but have been thinking about using my bank's bill paying feature in the future. Does anybody do that, and how has it worked for you? I've done this with other things - mostly rent and paying back people for stuff (like if I borrowed some cash because I forgot my wallet to get lunch or supper)

Are the payments timely? For me - not really. My bank is a credit union - If I schedule a payment to be made today, it takes 1 week to process and mail. They basically just mail a check - not sure if this is how other banks/CUs do it, but its how mine does it. I do it for my rent mostly when I go on vacation but it sucks because I have to schedule it a week before I want it to arrive and then I loose access to that cash for the week - if I was to pay a credit card this way, it wouldn't really help me and would be quicker to just wait till the purchase posted.

Have you ever encountered any problems? actually yes. It was done through a 3rd party check writting company and it just says on the memo my name - even when I give it my own memo (like acct number, or my apartment number) all it ever printed was my name and at first my landlord had no idea what it was until he saw my name. I'd be afraid to do bill payment with this and not have it posted. Obviously other banks have different systmes. I'd suggest sending your mom/dad/son/daughter - whomever a check for $1 (the service is free for me, so why not) and tell them its coming. Put an account number on it and see how they get it and how long it takes.

edited because it had some weird looking format...

Yeah, these are exactly the kind of issues I wanted to avoid. I'll be sure to watch it like a hawk if I do decide to try it.

My checking account is with Regions Bank and they seem to have a pretty slick bill pay service that doesn't cost anything. It would really be an awesome way to track all my spending and due dates if I set it up properly.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 8 of 19
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

I always preferred to pay it on the credit card website as I can see the process of the payment and also on Capital One and HSBC if I pay before 3pm then it's posted next day and credit is available next day. However as HSBC started to hold some of my payment I switched to pushing it to them. I have fidelity and only difference when I push the payment is that if I do it before 3pm the payment is posted in 2 days and credit available rather than next day..however so far it's been 100% successful and they have not held my payment once while paying by website it's a gamble so I do it with my bank now. Capital One I do it via their website still. They haven't held my money except once and that was like 2nd payment and ever since then they have been good. AMEX I just dont like their new website and it's weird so I just push it through and it works fine. In-fact Fidelity has been great and easy to do it so I might just switch that way. Like I said it's a day extra and no weekends, but it's easy and 100% reliable.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 9 of 19
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Usually through the credit card's website because I like to have money gaining interest as long as possible, and it will post the day you initiate it. One of the few good things about American Express is that if you submit a payment, the credit becomes available right away. I did that last week and charged about a minute afterwards and it went through.

All the chequing accounts I have, have the payment arrive the next day if submitted early enough.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.