Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pushed My Luck with GEMB

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pushed My Luck with GEMB

Did you hit the LUV button on their website? This works for me on Walmart and Dillards every 4 months, and they're both GEMB.
Message 11 of 21
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Well, I just signed up for their online account service and tried their luv button and I was rejected.  Will find out the reason in the mail.  I guess I won't be dusting the card off just yet.
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 12 of 21
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I've tried luv button, automatic phone system, CSR, no CLI for me.

Well, I started using my Macy's Visa at JCP.

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you hit the LUV button on their website? This works for me on Walmart and Dillards every 4 months, and they're both GEMB.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone said GEMB was extra conservative the end of 2008....not sure I didn't apply for any card then.

But, this month I applied for Rooms to Go and was instant approved $6500.  I also applied Care Credit and was instant approved for $12,500.  Obviously I haven't asked for any CLI's (not sure that I would ever want to do anything more than those numbers), but it has been rumored that GEMB has loosened up a bit.

True, my scores are pretty good, but I had 6 new accounts (within past 90 days all showing) prior to app'ing for either.

Message 14 of 21
wndrwmn78
Frequent Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous HA!  After reading on Who Gave Me Credit, I thought I would apply for a Lenscrafters card, to offset the cost of my @#$^ expensive glasses...I got the message of death:  We are unable to provide you with a decision at this time.  I was so sure I would get it!  But maybe not.  Smiley Sad

Yesterday I applied for an Ultra Diamonds card (got it!) & earlier today I decided to apply for the Care Credit card so that maybe I can FINALLY get some stupid braces (got it!).  But I guess the third time's the charm for GEMB!  I will call for a recon tomorrow.  Wish me luck!

What CL did you get for Care Credit? That may be one I need to apply for soon...

Starting Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Current Score: 670 EQ and 674 TU
Goal Score: 750 both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 21
laz98
Senior Contributor

$5000.  but my scores were lower than they are now.  at any rate, gemb closed my account because i never used it.  **bleep** it!
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:
$5000.  but my scores were lower than they are now.  at any rate, gemb closed my account because i never used it.  **bleep** it!

Good to know.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

GEMB must luv me!  I got approved for Belk and JCPenney in the past couple of weeks...and i'm starting to build credit again.  I also got a flyer for the JCP Optical, but after my mom got her last pair of glasses at JCP Optical, I really want to go to LensCrafters or Eyeglass World (the place I have been to for the past 8-10 yrs) because her frames and lenses are of poor quality.  Heh.  I'll just wait nine more months for another GEMB card and it will most likely be Dillard's since they have good deals every February and September on clothes and every December 26th on after-Christmas specials.  Maybe Target since they aren't GEMB but pretty easy to get a $200 CL.

I am eyeing some button down shirts though....and some stuff at CVS or Rite Aid, so I'll probably use the JCP more than I would Belk. 

Message 18 of 21
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

DH applied for Care Credit when his scores were bad...got $1500.  Use it at the vet, just about it.  Had it for one year, I should have him call for cli.  Scores up 70 pts since last yr.

GEMB cld my Dillard's from $2100 to $100 for non-use. 

CLD Walmart by $105

cli @ JCPenney

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fishbjc wrote:

DH applied for Care Credit when his scores were bad...got $1500.  Use it at the vet, just about it.  Had it for one year, I should have him call for cli.  Scores up 70 pts since last yr.

GEMB cld my Dillard's from $2100 to $100 for non-use. 

CLD Walmart by $105

@cli @ JCPenney

Just an FYI:  When I app'ed Care Credit on the 15th, I was approved for $12.5k

The approval confirmation page also said, "After 48 hours you may also contact our 24 hour automated response system to request an increase..."

So this morning just for kicks I called in and asked for $1500 CLI

Got transferred to a CSR.  She confirmed my request....found that I had another GEMB account (Rooms to Go $6500), confirmed that account, then typed for several minuted (often apologizing for the delay), then came back and said, "congratulations, your new Credit Limit is $14,000 and is immediately available!  Is there anything else I can assist you with?"

I told her no, thanked her for her time.

So, new update:  App'ed Rooms to go, got $6.5k instant approval.  4 weeks later app'ed Care Credit for $12.5k and got instant approval.  48 hours later I asked for Care Credit CLI of $1500, approved by CSR - new CL $14k.

Not sure exactly why GEMB loves me so much.  My wife app'ed Care Credit yesterday (has FICO 752, no baddies, perfect pay history, 12 year file, 4 year AAoA, 6 figure income) and they DECLINED her for any amount.

The only thing I can think of for DW is that she has had a PayPal Credit account for a couple years, which when she got that account she had derogs on her CR and we were still rebuilding.  Her CL on paypal is just $300.  So I think her history with them having a low CL previous account and maybe they keep some CR info over time????

I did not have any GEMB accounts or inquiries till now when my credit was perfect, high ficos, many reported high CL's.  Smiley Indifferent

Message Edited by txjohn on 07-18-2009 08:48 AM
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.