Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PwC Amex Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PwC Amex Card

Hello, I was recently promoted and now will need to apply for a corp Amex card with my company. My credit score is on the mend, but still in the high risk range. Wondering if I will be automatically denied through the program or just issued a reduced limit card?

My personal card balances have improved and I have no bad history with Amex. Any advice is appreciated!!!
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: PwC Amex Card

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello, I was recently promoted and now will need to apply for a corp Amex card with my company. My credit score is on the mend, but still in the high risk range. Wondering if I will be automatically denied through the program or just issued a reduced limit card?

My personal card balances have improved and I have no bad history with Amex. Any advice is appreciated!!!

If it's your company. Card. You should not have to apply. What are yountalkingbabout. The hr dept just makes you authorized user on a corporate card. However if they want you to use your personal amex then reimburse you that's a different story. No way to help without knowing 

1 fico scores. Experian for amex

negatives on report

and positive tl's 

just a general profile. No specifics. Then can give better advice. Good luck. 

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The negative tone isn't helpful or necessary and some of your reply doesn't make sense.

For anyone else that has helpful thoughts, The firm does have an application process. It requires we input our SSN, home and billing address.

My experian score is 571, TU is 661 and Equifax is 606.
Message 3 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I didn't see the tone as negative but I'm familiar with taxi's other posts.  Tthe post does make some points that you to clarify for us if you want feedback.  Whether or not you're just being made an authorized user or if you're applying for you own card makes a signiifcant difference.  Though IMO it seemed clear that this was a corporate card and in such cases an individual's credit really doesn't matter.  If it's the latter then we'd need the info requested to even begin to assist and even then we can't specifically tell you what your limit would be as we are not AmEx underwriters.

Message 4 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

There have been some other posters here who also have challenging FICO scores, apped for Corporate AMEX. Your app for the AMEX is going to be for a charge card, it is not a revolving line of credit, so you either get the card or you don't, there is no "low limit" issue.

Expenses that go on the card are for business expenses only, to be reimbursed from your travel / expense reports that you submit to your HR / Travel reimbursement / expense reporting system. At my work, the payments to AMEX on my corporate travel card go directly from the company to AMEX. Some others have a check paid to the employee, the employee pays the AMEX.

As to the application, you should be approved. If you are for some reason denied the card, just get in touch with your HR department people. They will get the necessary approvals done so you get the corporate AMEX. Just be sure to talk with someone at your work, if there are any issues getting the card. The key is to keep your employer in the loop so if there are any issues, you get their help to resolve the issues. Your employer wants to see that you get this card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you NRB525.  I thought there may be a low limit issue, since our application page specifically references a "reduced limit" type of card.  Our T&E system also pays amex directly via expense reports, so that makes sense.  I will keep my employer in the loop; appreciate the advice very much! Ive paid down some cards and will be paying down others so my utilization is better, and thus helps my score (I've already seen a positive spike in the last month!).

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

If it's your company. Card. You should not have to apply. What are yountalkingbabout. The hr dept just makes you authorized user on a corporate card. However if they want you to use your personal amex then reimburse you that's a different story. No way to help without knowing 

1 fico scores. Experian for amex

negatives on report

and positive tl's 

just a general profile. No specifics. Then can give better advice. Good luck. 

This is not always true...at my company you have to apply and still meet some modicum of AMEX qualifications to get a corp AMEX card as they do not want a lot of people as AUs on the corp card. Truth be told, my company doesn't offer true AUs so there are a lot of Credit Card authorizations that have to be done for hotel stays since no one has a physical card. (But I also get your point about the personal AMEX and reimbursement)

Also to 

@Anonymous do they let you use other personal CCs to charge company items or is it mandatory that you go through AMEX for reimbursement/expense reporting purposes?

Message 7 of 20
Ups77
Regular Contributor

Amex pulls ex .I don't think you'll get approved. I was approved on March 5. With ex score 725. But that's my personnel opinion.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your EX may be a bit on the low side for an AMEX.  If your profile was clean and very thin, it'd be different but since you say your credit is on the mend I would guess the previous derogs may hold you back.

This being said, you really never know.  There've been reports of people getting AMEX cards with unpaid COs and repos so it MAY be possible depending on how old your negatives are.

If you are required to apply on your own, I sincerely wish you good luck and hope for an approval.  If your HR department just wants your information, they may be setting you up as an AU which a) will help you with your credit, b) can anecdotally give you an older MSD when you DO get your own card, which is awesome.  heh.

Message 9 of 20
taxi818
Super Contributor

No. Nothing negative. Just a simple question of understanding your situation in order to help. Now if you don't heed the sdvice up to you. Sure they will ask for your social and all but that is not same as applying with amex. But even AU needs social. Example. I can make friend au to get a amex. I still need their social. But they don't have to apply with amex. And will get w card. 

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.