Q1 2015 CF w/ CSP vs BCP for groceries

tag
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

Q1 2015 CF w/ CSP vs BCP for groceries

Hey guys,

So I have the BCP, CF, and CSP.

Get 6% back on groceries with the BCP

Q1 2015 Freedom will get 5x pts on groceries, which I can then transfer to CSP account.

Which would be more lucrative? I think at like 1.2 cents a point they're equal, if I'm doing my math right? Thats seems to be how Chase values their UR points, others say its more valuable?

How are other with my same combo going to use their cards?

EDIT: Actually I see Chase values points at 1.25 cents AKA 6.25% cashback with CF, so I guess this means the CF will be better than the BCP.

----- QS: $10k ------ CF: $14k ------- BCP: $15k ------- CSP: $24k ------ AMEXPlat ----
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Q1 2015 CF w/ CSP vs BCP for groceries

You can't rely on a fixed value for UR points.  You need to look at how you specifically redeem them to determine value per point.

Message 2 of 16
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

You can't rely on a fixed value for UR points.  You need to look at how you specifically redeem them to determine value per point.

I do not redeem for cash, otherwise the BCP would be better. It seems for travel, everything on the UR portal goes for 1.25 cents per point. This is easier to see after their redesign. 

Chase explicity says on my account: 

Your 75,869 points are worth $948.36 towards travel booked on Ultimate Rewards®.

948.36/75869=0.0125

----- QS: $10k ------ CF: $14k ------- BCP: $15k ------- CSP: $24k ------ AMEXPlat ----
Message 3 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Pricing in the UR portal is not the same as it is elsewhere.  I wouldn't rely on it to determine value per point.  Best value per point is generally attained by transferring.

Message 4 of 16
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

Pricing in the UR portal is not the same as it is elsewhere.  I wouldn't rely on it to determine value per point.  Best value per point is generally attained by transferring.

I have looked up sample flights I would take and hotels that I would choose to stay at randomly, and after doing the calculations, they all work out to 1.25 cents.

Can you give any instance where it would be less than 1.2 cents per point? I don't see how it could get worse as long as I am not redeeming for cash. I am not saying 1.25 is the best I could get, but shouldn't that be the lowest, at least through their online portal for travel?

I am merely trying to decide which would get the better value, 6% from BCP, or 5x pts from CF.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you spend more than $6000 on groceries in a year, then you should definitely use Freedom in Q1.

Message 6 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bluedoggiant wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

I have looked up sample flights I would take and hotels that I would choose to stay at randomly, and after doing the calculations, they all work out to 1.25 cents.

Can you give any instance where it would be less than 1.2 cents per point? I don't see how it could get worse as long as I am not redeeming for cash. I am not saying 1.25 is the best I could get, but shouldn't that be the lowest, at least through their online portal for travel?

I am merely trying to decide which would get the better value, 6% from BCP, or 5x pts from CF.

Yes, 1.25 is the lowest, IF, in the end, you redeem those points using the UR mall.   If you redeem them by transferring, you could get a lot more (or less, if unfortunate enough to transfer and find all "good" redemptions gone).    So if you know you will use them for travel through UR, yes, more valuable than the BCP.

Also, it depends how much you spend at supermarkets with the BCP.   Since Freedom is Q1 only, and BCP is capped, it makes sense even if they were equal to use Freedom in Q1 up to its cap, "saving" the BCP for later.  (To buy gift cards at supermarkets if notihng else!)

Message 7 of 16
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@bluedoggiant wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

Yes, 1.25 is the lowest, IF, in the end, you redeem those points using the UR mall.   If you redeem them by transferring, you could get a lot more (or less, if unfortunate enough to transfer and find all "good" redemptions gone).    So if you know you will use them for travel through UR, yes, more valuable than the BCP.

Also, it depends how much you spend at supermarkets with the BCP.   Since Freedom is Q1 only, and BCP is capped, it makes sense even if they were equal to use Freedom in Q1 up to its cap, "saving" the BCP for later.  (To buy gift cards at supermarkets if notihng else!)

I agree I think its irrelevant how much I spend at supermarkets. 

@Anonymous wrote:

If you spend more than $6000 on groceries in a year, then you should definitely use Freedom in Q1.

I don't think it matters, as long as you're getting the most rewards for your spending.

For the record I have spent $2k on groceries on my BCP since opening in July.

Message 8 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bluedoggiant wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@bluedoggiant wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think it matters, as long as you're getting the most rewards for your spending.

Of course it isn't irrelevant.   If you spend say $10K a year, the BCP is 6% on the first $6k and 1% after.    It then makes sense to use Freedom Q1, even at 5% cash back, because 5% on $1,500 beats 1% on $1,500 once you have exhaused the BCP cap.   Now for your figures, it may not apply, but since we didn't know them, not irrelevant.

Message 9 of 16
bluedoggiant
New Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@bluedoggiant wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@bluedoggiant wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Of course it isn't irrelevant.   If you spend say $10K a year, the BCP is 6% on the first $6k and 1% after.    It then makes sense to use Freedom Q1, even at 5% cash back, because 5% on $1,500 beats 1% on $1,500 once you have exhaused the BCP cap.   Now for your figures, it may not apply, but since we didn't know them, not irrelevant.

Yeah you're right I was thinking for my circumstances.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.