QS WEMC

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: QS WEMC

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One is and always will be a sub-prime lender in my opinion.

Just because this card has a polished MasterCard logo on it, doesn't mean it's up to the level of the prestigous cards, or even the level of the prime cards.

For all we know, this card could be like the Citi cards where many have the WEMC logo on them, but only 1/2 of the benefits offered on a typical WEMC. For example, I doubt Capital One will have NPSL on any of their cards. I also doubt they'll give away many other benefits offered on a typical WEMC, especially since there's no annual fee.

The introductory rate on their cards are weak too (including this one)... This one has 9 months of APR and balance transfer at 0%, where most other top tier cards have up to twice as long of an introductory period, plus the $100 signup bonus is weak, along with the straight 1.5% cash back.

I don't see any way to earn more than 1.5% cash back by redeeming through travel partners or anything like that.

I guess it's a great card for those who are still building their credit who can't qualify for a real WEMC, don't want real benefits, don't want a long introductory 0% purchase period, and don't want huge sign up bonuses.

I don't want to sound negative, but this card really isn't a big deal. Just get the regular QS if you want it, and don't jump through hoops.

What hoops? This application is the same thing as applying for the regular QS. No extra work.

I don't love Capital One and I think people spend a lot of time trying to get them to be something they are not -- they try to get the APR down to 12%, they try to get their $300 starter card up to 20k, etc -- but they aren't a bad lender. They just have their pros, cons, and limitations like any other lender. Like I said, WEMC isn't something I personally think is that important, and I wouldn't use 3 pulls on this, but if you otherwise want a QS, there's nothing wrong with applying for the WEMC instead of the Visa.

If you have to dig for a card app, you're jumping through hoops. 

They're not a bad lender like First Premier, but they aren't prime either. Their best card is basically a 2% back card, but it has a $59 annual fee with no travel benefits compared to cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred which has a slightly higher annual fee, but a lot of benefits. 

Let me know when they start handing out cards that compete with the CSP, Citi Prestige, AA Advantage cards, and AMEX PRG, and then I'll consider them a prime lender. 

You are incorrect.  It comes with a $400 sign-up bonus and an extra .50 percent w/ no FTF and QS offers 1.50% no AF and no FTF.  Both cards are similar to other cashback cards in the market.

You cannot compare travel cards to cashback cards.  BTW the bar is rather low for Citi AAdvantage and Amex charge cards, similar approval scores to Venture & QS Visa(not MC)

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 71 of 106
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Capital One is never going to have the next Sapphire card. That isn't their market and I don't think it ever will be. They are more or less a "starter card" company that isn't as horrible as First Premier or some such.

You don't go to Capital One looking for a super premium card. That doesn't make them not prime, they have a niche and they fill it.

Message 72 of 106
redpat
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Capital One is never going to have the next Sapphire card. That isn't their market and I don't think it ever will be. They are more or less a "starter card" company that isn't as horrible as First Premier or some such.

You don't go to Capital One looking for a super premium card. That doesn't make them not prime, they have a niche and they fill it.

Never say never.......They did roll out metal venture cards to start, lol!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 73 of 106
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

wow, back in the day I would've killed for this card's look! but now, with apple pay, etc., all my cards are sitting pretty in my wallet. and WEMC benefits are just meh.

Message 74 of 106
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Never say never.......They did roll out metal venture cards to start, lol!

Haha that is true! A colleague of mine has a metal version of the venture card. 

Whether folks think Capital One is prime or subprime - I know they are decent to me given the two high limit / low APR cards I have. I'm happy!

Message 75 of 106
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any FTF for this card? Didn't see anything about FTF in the details.

Message 76 of 106
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's no FTF

Message 77 of 106
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There's no FTF

Yep. I don't think Capital One has an FTF on any of their cards.

Message 78 of 106
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Very true and valid in today's credit market.  However, for historical purposes and about a decade ago or thereabouts, Cap1 also  did roll out a few of what could reasonably be called super-prime card products, such as the 4.9% F APR card (some people even had "for life" terms, on it).  Even after the 4.9% F rate offer largely went away, even up until about the time of CARD Act I think IIRC, they were still offering single-digit APR, low variable-rate cards. 

ETA:  didn't Cap1 also technically pretty much introduce or pioneer the 2% travel rewards feature, before either most or even all of the other card issuers did?  For a limited time up until about 2010-2012 or so, you could still get a Cap1 travel rewards card with 2% travel cashback rewards , with a single-digit variable interest rate.  Granted, their very best 2% travel cards always did have an AF, but such may be the cost of doing business at that level, I suppose...

Message 79 of 106
SuperGotenks
New Contributor

Thanks for the link! I signed up and got a 10k starting limit. I already have a Quicksilver Visa with 4,250 on it, so I called them asked if they could move the 4,250 over to the new one. They said no... I'd have to do it myself on the website once I receive the new card. Their agents don't have access to that.

$40,000 - Amazon Prime Rewards Visa
$35,000 - Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa
$34,500 - Citi Double Cash Mastercard
$30,000 - American Express Cash Magnet
$21,000 - U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa
$20,800 - Comenity Playstation Visa
$20,000 - Capital One Quciksilver Mastercard
$14,500 - Discover it Cash Back
$7,500 - Google Store
Message 80 of 106
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.