Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QS1 MC and QS Visa: Combine or not?

tag
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

QS1 MC and QS Visa: Combine or not?

I have tried and tried and Cap1 refuses to grant me a PC on the QS1 MC card. However, it’s come a long way from a HSBC to Cap1 Platinum MC AF, no rewards and now to the QS1 MC but the AF still remains. I have 3 accounts with Cap1….a QS1 MC, QS Visa, and Venture. I would like to combine cards. Since I haven’t been successful in getting the QS1 MC pc’ed to a no AF QS, I am thinking of combining the QS Visa with the QS1 MC, thus closing my QS Visa Card. I'd like to keep my QS1 MC because it's my oldest card and the APR is much lower. I'm also thinking, maybe Cap1 will PC if the CL increases. 

I’ve compared both cards below and I’d like your input on if combining is the right thing to do right now. I have 15 open CC accts and would like to lower the number of cards to easily manage them. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

QS1 MC

• $2500 CL
  • 1.5% cash back rewards
  • $59 AF (however, they’ve waived it for the last 2 years and told me to keep calling back to get it waive in the future)
  • Opened 11/2010 (oldest opened CC acct)
  • 15.15% APR on purchases and 21.15% on cash advances

QS Visa

• 1.5% cash back rewards
  • No AF
  • Opened 11/2014
  • $9500 CL
  • 20.15% APR on purchases and 23.15% on cash advances
TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: QS1 MC and QS Visa: Combine or not?

@DoroLucky wrote:

I have tried and tried and Cap1 refuses to grant me a PC on the QS1 MC card. However, it’s come a long way from a HSBC to Cap1 Platinum MC AF, no rewards and now to the QS1 MC but the AF still remains. I have 3 accounts with Cap1….a QS1 MC, QS Visa, and Venture. I would like to combine cards. Since I haven’t been successful in getting the QS1 MC pc’ed to a no AF QS, I am thinking of combining the QS Visa with the QS1 MC, thus closing my QS Visa Card. I'd like to keep my QS1 MC because it's my oldest card and the APR is much lower. I'm also thinking, maybe Cap1 will PC if the CL increases

I’ve compared both cards below and I’d like your input on if combining is the right thing to do right now. I have 15 open CC accts and would like to lower the number of cards to easily manage them. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

QS1 MC

• $2500 CL
  • 1.5% cash back rewards
  • $59 AF (however, they’ve waived it for the last 2 years and told me to keep calling back to get it waive in the future)
  • Opened 11/2010 (oldest opened CC acct)
  • 15.15% APR on purchases and 21.15% on cash advances

QS Visa

• 1.5% cash back rewards
  • No AF
  • Opened 11/2014
  • $9500 CL
  • 20.15% APR on purchases and 23.15% on cash advances

See red - I don't think that Cap1 will take into account your limit when doing a PC. 

Couple of questions, the MC limit is pretty low for such an old card - have you been able to get any CLI's on it or does it seem stuck?  There are some cards that just get stuck and there is nothing you can do about it - it seems more true if it was an older, converted card from another bank.

I would probably combine the MC into the QS Visa and get rid of a card that is pretty much stuck in growth, unless you don't mind calling in every year and trying to get the fee removed or possibly not getting any additional CLI's on it.  You mentioned a Venture, what is the rate on that card?  How long have you had that one?  Are you thinking of combining that down the road?

Message 2 of 10
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Initial post had some typos, it's been edited.
TCL= $172,800
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 10
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

See red - I don't think that Cap1 will take into account your limit when doing a PC. 

Couple of questions, the MC limit is pretty low for such an old card - have you been able to get any CLI's on it or does it seem stuck?  There are some cards that just get stuck and there is nothing you can do about it - it seems more true if it was an older, converted card from another bank.

I would probably combine the MC into the QS Visa and get rid of a card that is pretty much stuck in growth, unless you don't mind calling in every year and trying to get the fee removed or possibly not getting any additional CLI's on it.  You mentioned a Venture, what is the rate on that card?  How long have you had that one?  Are you thinking of combining that down the road?

The card have had some growth but it started growing over the last 1.5 years. It started with a $300 limit. I sure it hasn't grown over the years because it has gone over the limit and carried a balance for long periods. All of that changed when I found this forum and is now learning to take better care of my cards/credit. I'm sure I can put some heavy spend on it from now until the next CLI eligibility in May. 

All 3 of my CAP1 cards now sit at $0 balance right now with nothing pending.

The Venture is a Visa Signature I have had for 1 yr and 2 days Smiley LOL has a $7000 limit with 20.15% APR. Frankly, I have no clue what its future is LOL. I last used it for travel in march. I've used it more than my QS1 MC because the CL is higher.  

TCL= $172,800

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Cap 1 Platinum MC had a limit of $5500 due to combining the QS1 into the Plat MC.

I called in for a PC and they stated since my limit was over $5000 they would issue me a WMC (I PC'd to a Venture). I can confirm I did receive the Venture WMC in the mail.

So OP, if you want to dump the limit into the QS1 and PC to a QS WMC or a Venture WMC, you definitely can.

Message 5 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I was in an almost identical situation; I had a QS1 that started off as a $300 HSBC/Orchard Bank 'Platinum' MasterCard, and for years there was very little movement on it.  Then it became Capital One, and in early 2014 it finally started to get some nice CLIs.  While it was (is) one of my oldest accounts, the AF was a steep $79, so while I wanted to keep it I also wanted to be rid of that fee.  My interest rate is also 15.15%

I tried for literally years to get a PC always to be told there was "no offer on the account" and the last two years they agreed to waive half the AF, which was bitter-sweet (the AF was still slightly higher than a brand new QS1 account).  The last time I was turned down for a PC was December.  A few weeks later when I asked again on chat, something was finally different and there was a PC offer available, which I quickly took them up on.  I chose to PC to a 'regular' QS, since it is clearly superior to a Venture One (I specified that I wanted a no-AF account). 

I did think about merging my QS Visa Signature with my QS MasterCard (especially before I got rid of the AF) but there are a couple of slight differences which makes each more useful to me.  For one, the APR on my QS MasterCard is lower by a couple of points than my QS Visa, so in the unlikely event I needed to carry a balance on a Quicksilver card I would choose the MasterCard. 

Secondly, the balance transfer options are different for the two cards (at least for me).  My QS Visa usually has an 'offer' for a 0% balance transfer with a 3% fee.  The MasterCard has a 'standing' offer for a no-fee balance transfer at the normal APR (no promotional rate).  In the event you need a balance transfer for a short time (like I have recently) the no-fee option is actually superior to the 0% option, so using the MasterCard is preferable.

Due to the differences above I have decided to simply keep the accounts separate, since that will give me the best of both worlds, and the credit lines are sufficient across both cards for my needs.  Your wants/needs might be different.

Just my 2¢... hope this helps!  Smiley Wink

Note:  Here's the link to my own QS1 to QS adventure:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Capital-One-QS1-to-QS-PC-Finally/m-p/4460966

Message 6 of 10
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Thanks Uncle B, puts things in perspective. I will hold on for now. I guess I'm bored since I can't app and trying to find ways to scratch the itch LOL 

TCL= $172,800

Message 7 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@DoroLucky wrote:

Thanks Uncle B, puts things in perspective. I will hold on for now. I guess I'm bored since I can't app and trying to find ways to scratch the itch LOL 

I know that feeling all too well!  Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@DoroLucky wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The card have had some growth but it started growing over the last 1.5 years. It started with a $300 limit. I sure it hasn't grown over the years because it has gone over the limit and carried a balance for long periods. All of that changed when I found this forum and is now learning to take better care of my cards/credit. I'm sure I can put some heavy spend on it from now until the next CLI eligibility in May. 

All 3 of my CAP1 cards now sit at $0 balance right now with nothing pending.

The Venture is a Visa Signature I have had for 1 yr and 2 days Smiley LOL has a $7000 limit with 20.15% APR. Frankly, I have no clue what its future is LOL. I last used it for travel in march. I've used it more than my QS1 MC because the CL is higher.  

Any reason you're holding on to the Venture instead of clubbing it with the QS?

I had a Venture for about 8 months, and then I combined with my QS MC which had a higher APR, but it was more straightforward in rewards compared to the Venture, and no AF. Once you go beyond the first year, I don't see how the AF is justfied. 

Message 9 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Here's a crazy thought. Why not combine the Venture into the old QS1, get the Venture AF refunded, and then see if Cap One indeed PCs the old QS1 into a no-AF QS with the higher limit? 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.