cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QUESTION FOR THOSE WITH CANCELLED WAMU/CHASE?

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: QUESTION FOR THOSE WITH CANCELLED WAMU/CHASE?

@Anonymous wrote:
Just wanted to post my outcome with Chase. After I filed a complaint with the BBB, Chase called me. They reopened one of my two accounts (the one with the lowest interest rate). The other account they changed the reason for closing the account to "Closed due to Corporate Policy". The person at Chase said that change would keep the closing of the account from having a negative effect on my report (obviously the closing will have a negative effect in that my total available credit dropped, but this at least make the reason no longer negative).

Excepting for a manual review the value of this change is zip, zero, nada.

Message 101 of 111
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Getting one of the accounts reopened is, however, a great achievement. That is why I always encourage people to be vocal when confronted with intolerable policies.

Good Job!

Message 102 of 111
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Just wanted to post my outcome with Chase. After I filed a complaint with the BBB, Chase called me. They reopened one of my two accounts (the one with the lowest interest rate). The other account they changed the reason for closing the account to "Closed due to Corporate Policy". The person at Chase said that change would keep the closing of the account from having a negative effect on my report (obviously the closing will have a negative effect in that my total available credit dropped, but this at least make the reason no longer negative).

Excepting for a manual review the value of this change is zip, zero, nada.

OK, we probably don't need to hit our new members over the head with a cinder block. That's kind of overkill, IMO.

TomKo, it is true that your FICO scores aren't affected by the notations of who closed the account.

And in terms of manual review, I've never seen a post by anyone with convincing evidence that "closed by lender" hurt them in any way. I have one of these (a CC I never used after the first time), and I've never had any negative feedback.

I especially think that with the past 12 months' closings, "closed by lender" probably appears on the personal reports of anyone you apply with! Smiley Wink

But I agree that "Closed due to Corporate Policy" sounds a whole lot better. Maybe Chase's PR department has come back from its corporate wilderness bonding retreat thingy and realized that it's time for damage control on these former WaMu accounts.

For those who got burned by Chase and are worried about the notation on their reports (again, I really don't think it's going to hurt you), y'all might want to take some deep breaths, swallow hard, and call to ask that they change their reporting to this phrase.

TomKo, nice work! It might be the mouse squeaking in the claws of the eagle, but it sounds like a pretty good squeak. And welcome to the forums!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 103 of 111
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The target of a cinder block (or a few hundred thousand telephone calls) would properly be Chase.

TomKo did just fine!

Message 104 of 111
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

The target of a cinder block (or a few hundred thousand telephone calls) would properly be Chase.

TomKo did just fine!

If my feelings posted here along with my comments, I'd probably be banned lol. Hard to click on this thread and not feel a bit of hostility (towards Chase off course). I hope nobody in this thread works for them Smiley Surprised

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 105 of 111
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Mine was cancelled on july 7th, as well. what is going on?

I've been really thinking about all this chase stuff and I've also been trying to figure it out. I would have to suggest putting myself in their shoes, what would I do. Before that, I'd also have to know the circumstances.

Circumstances:

Riskier Customers: From all the Chase posts, I think WaMu customers maybe (or may not be, I don't know for sure) riskier than Chase customers. Scenerio would have Chase canceling cards/ reducing credit limits so the WaMu customers are more in line with the Chase customers. I have my doubts about this because there are some very good customers with low risk that have been axed along with some WaMu customers that had some negatives. 

Economy/High default rate: We all know that defaults/charge offs are pretty high at this time. Best way to reduce charge offs is to reduce available credit, close accounts - basically stop people from using the cards. Even though this scenerio has much merrit, Chase is in fact touching WaMu customers at a much disproportional rate in comparison to Chase customers. 

Tarp Funds/Stress Tests: I haven't much heard this, but that FICO chief said something that got me thinking. Those stress tests that banks went though, was credit available to customers part of the equation? If so, how would you best improve your stress test score? -obviously reduce available credit. Picking on WaMu customers for this scenerio results in the best case situation - it avoids making your own customers mad. All the stupid reasons that came with the letter recieved weeks/month/never later? We'll, it seems obvious they don't have a guy sitting there making any decisions about whether to keep me (or you) because many of the reasons don't make any sense. If I was the credit card company, my question would be: how many people do I have to hire to go through all the WaMu card holders to arrive at 3 million WaMu customers- basically to find the ones that don't meet my criteria, or better yet, which WaMu customers do I cancel so I can reduce the available credit shown on my bank stress test done by the federal government to a level that allows me to pass? How many months would it take, or how many employees would it take to go through? How long would training for those employees take? Cheapest way for me seems, run a credit report, keep the WaMu customers with the top 10% FICO scores, send the closed account holders reasons randomly selected from a list of reasons that may seem plausible for many customers. So what if 10,000 customers call back and ask for their card to be reinstated...Only those with good scores, and the right phone skills will get it...the rest of the customers will be rude, give up, or just not call...What's left is what is needed....3million times 10,000 CL...is that 30 billion worth of credit lines closed?

Just what I've been thinking last two weeks. Feedback please Smiley Happy

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Message 106 of 111
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Karatz wrote:

3million times 10,000 CL...is that 30 billion worth of credit lines closed?

You were doing pretty good until you got to this. I am sure the average CL was far lower. Mine is $3.9K for instance. (My card is still open, too.) It still adds up to a whole lot of exposure eliminated.

I don't think this was a random matter at all, nor were the reasons randomly assigned. There is some fleeting logic to it that you can follow if you try.

The bottom line is that anybody who had their card closed and feels the closure was unwarranted must get on the phone and vocalize with Chase and follow that up with complaints through the proper channels. Chase seems to be wary enough of official complaints that results can be obtained by proceeding in this manner.

Message 107 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Karatz wrote:

You were doing pretty good until you got to this. I am sure the average CL was far lower. Mine is $3.9K for instance. (My card is still open, too.) It still adds up to a whole lot of exposure eliminated.

I don't think this was a random matter at all, nor were the reasons randomly assigned. There is some fleeting logic to it that you can follow if you try.

The bottom line is that anybody who had their card closed and feels the closure was unwarranted must get on the phone and vocalize with Chase and follow that up with complaints through the proper channels. Chase seems to be wary enough of official complaints that results can be obtained by proceeding in this manner.

I have to agree with CWCID on that one......

Message 108 of 111
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Karatz, +1

Someone else (I can't remember which forum member, or which thread it was in)  also pointed out that Chase never wanted Wamu's credit card business anyways...what Chase really wanted was the expanded geographical market, the local presence Chase didn't have.  The credit card business was just a part of the package.

Put it all together with what Karatz wrote above, and Chase's actions make perfect sense (from its perspective).

Chase's method of "thinning the herd" leaves a lot to be desired.  But I'm sure good ole J.P. Morgan would be bustin' with pride right about now observing the ruthless efficiency of his organization.  

Message 109 of 111
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@Karatz wrote:

You're probably right. My brothers was 16k something, some people had two cards. Neither of us, I'm sure, could tell the difference between 30 billion in 100's stacked outside your house and 3 billion of em, LOL. I'd be curious to know exactly how much CLD they ended up with.

I'm wondering myself if it's better for me to have have about a 20% drop in utilization show up on my credit report before I call them.

I signed up for their $125 for free checking. Rules were $100 deposit (which I will withdraw once I get my pin on my card that showed up yesterday), automatic deposit from your paycheck (they got all of my 2 cents deposited last friday - I can add an unlimited number of accounts over the web to my paycheck so they get 0.02), and I have to keep the account open for 6 months (13 paychecks over 6 months times 0.02 + 26 cents...that will be my withdrawel 6 months from now)

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Message 110 of 111
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.