Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quad Apps - too much?

tag
nj23
Regular Contributor

Quad Apps - too much?

Next month I plan on applying for some additional cards.  Expect EQ and EX to be around 700 and TU 750 (will pull before apps).  I would like to apply for the following, but let me know if I'm being too...optimistic...and if four is too many pulls at once:

Discover IT (received offer)
Sallie Mae Barclay
AMEX BCE (I prefer non-travel rewards)
Chase Freedom or Sapphire 

Only baddie on all reports are a few lates on an auto loan nearly 7 years old.  Will be at 1-2% util. Currently have quicksilver 2250 and target store card 200.  Oh, and all of the above "pre-qualify" checks have gone through except for Sallie Mae, which I couldn't find a pre-qualify check for.  

Thanks 

FICO TU: 768 (Post-Spree 7/14 Discover FICO) FICO EX: 734 (post-spree 7/6) FICO EQ: 730 (7/15 Lender pull after INQs)
6% utility July 29th. Back into the Garden after a successful spree...for real this time Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Quad Apps - too much?

Personally i would apply for 2 of those cards and then wait like a 1 year or 2 and apply for the other ones. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 38
myjourney
Super Contributor

@nj23 wrote:

Next month I plan on applying for some additional cards.  Expect EQ and EX to be around 700 and TU 750 (will pull before apps).  I would like to apply for the following, but let me know if I'm being too...optimistic...and if four is too many pulls at once:

Discover IT (received offer) EQ TU
Sallie Mae Barclay TU
AMEX BCE (I prefer non-travel rewards) EX
Chase Freedom or Sapphire EX in most cases

Only baddie on all reports are a few lates on an auto loan nearly 7 years old.  Will be at 1-2% util. Currently have quicksilver 2250 and target store card 200.  

Thanks 

4 is not to many if your profile can handle it especially if you spread the INQ's accros CB's

IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 38
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@nj23 wrote:

Discover IT (received offer) EQ TU
Sallie Mae Barclay TU
AMEX BCE (I prefer non-travel rewards) EX
Chase Freedom or Sapphire EX in most cases

Only baddie on all reports are a few lates on an auto loan nearly 7 years old.  Will be at 1-2% util. Currently have quicksilver 2250 and target store card 200.  

Thanks 

4 is not to many if your profile can handle it especially if you spread the INQ's accros CB's

IMHO

+1

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 38
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Or maybe just 6 mos. You'd probably qualify for the other two after that.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 5 of 38
nj23
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your responses.  I only have one inquiry in the past year on only one report, so I don't think existing inquiries will be an issue.  Maybe it would be best to just hold off on two of them until after the lates drop off in August or September, although I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make - I am eager to get additional accounts and a higher total limit so I can have more wiggle room in the utilization department.  I did see some crazy claims from other people - like someone with 47k income and (IIRC) a 700ish score and got an 18k limit from Discover (!!!)  Sounds too good to be true, though.  

FICO TU: 768 (Post-Spree 7/14 Discover FICO) FICO EX: 734 (post-spree 7/6) FICO EQ: 730 (7/15 Lender pull after INQs)
6% utility July 29th. Back into the Garden after a successful spree...for real this time Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 38
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

with those 4 I say all at once because they are spread out on the credit reports well and the order you listed them is great too!

GO GO GO, all 4.

Message 7 of 38
myjourney
Super Contributor

@nj23 wrote:

Thanks for your responses.  I only have one inquiry in the past year on only one report, so I don't think existing inquiries will be an issue.  Maybe it would be best to just hold off on two of them until after the lates drop off in August or September, although I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make - I am eager to get additional accounts and a higher total limit so I can have more wiggle room in the utilization department.  I did see some crazy claims from other people - like someone with 47k income and (IIRC) a 700ish score and got an 18k limit from Discover (!!!)  Sounds too good to be true, though.  

It won't make a difference and all cards will age together and the bonus is all INQ's fall off together too 2 years from now

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

with those 4 I say all at once because they are spread out on the credit reports well and the order you listed them is great too!

GO GO GO, all 4.

Hehe, OK maybe I'm not as old as I thought (in reference to a post I made earlier).

I'd absolutely spree in your case assuming you're going to sit on your hands afterwards for a while: my only question is the Sallie Mae and BCE sort of overlap from a rewards perspective unless you plan to use the SM card then the BCE once you hit the rewards cap (which seem absurdly low in SM's case except for books, though it's probably targetted towards students who aren't driving / buying much groceries).

Also the Sapphire really doesn't make much sense unless travelling in my opinion: Freedom is better for the typical person and 2x restaurants is pretty easy to cover elsewhere if you need it and I suspect between the Freedom and Discover you're likely covered half the year at 5% anyway on those every year.

        
Message 9 of 38
nj23
Regular Contributor

Yes, maybe you're right about the Sallie Mae, It just seems like the most well-liked of the Barclay cards.  Maybe I'll just do the Rewards one, although I'm not entirely against travel rewards - maybe I'd do more traveling if I had rewards.  Well, I'll probably do all 4, and in case I'm denied one or two, I'll have (hopefully) at least two approved, and then in 6-12 mos I can ask for a CLI, wherever possible.  I'm not planning on applying for any additional credit after these apps for awhile, although I may be looking for an apartment at some point before the inquiries drop off.  

Thanks 

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.