Did you mean: 

Quad Apps - too much?

tag
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Re: Quad Apps - too much?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@nj23 wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I will hold off and do all at once and start with Barclay's.  

I am going to keep an eye on AMEX BCE in case they have a better offer by the time I app - It kind of seems like the Bank Americard Cash Rewards and BCE aren't all that different.  One thing that seems appealing about AMEX is the CL/CLIs.  I'm looking to get the largest credit lines I can.  My income is about 55k, so I'm not expecting gigantic limits, but I've seen people (a couple around these forums) with less income get pretty large limits.

Why?  IMO, this focus is wrong.  You should go for what maximizes your return.  Now if you need to transfer a balance, or are always carrying a balance (and want to reduce util), or need to make a large purchase, then maybe getting a large CL is worthwhile.  But in other cases a large CL has no real value, whereas getting good rewards does.

Slightly off topic but I see you have both Chase Amazon and Sallie Mae. Any value to having both, assuming you'll spend < $750/month at Amazon? I'm done apping, but I have a $60 credit offer for Chase Amazon that keeps poking at me everytime I checkout.

Message 31 of 38
stillirise
New Contributor

Multiple apps is just what I did but I didnt really plan them I just got excited with every approval and did another. I didnt have much in credit cards I just paid cash for everything. I only had two sick credit cards and one of those was secured.

While its laughable now...it was the key to getting my mortgages because I had very little debt. What hurt was not having any high limit cards to finance repairs for my properties.

I think you will do fine with the apps. Remember though Discover uses TU I applied for that one today and got it. The agent told me on the phone thats what they pulled.

@Bluegoldkeys wrote:

Dont think so. I did a Quint

Walmart, Best Buy, - Friday

Amazon - Saturday

Amex - Tuesday

Citi DP - Wedsneday.

approved for all. I have commited to no more for the next two years or until a house. I have all the cards i need now Smiley Very Happy

I finally got the higher limit cards but I did it so quickly Im worried now. Especially after reading another post about suspension of Amex. The poster hasnt given any details about it yet.

OH! yeah...I hope I can just relax for a bit. I did not think of the major purchases later. I intend to buy more property after I flip at least one. I hope I hadnt hurt my chances...

Starting Score: EQ 680 EX 731 TU 697
Current Score: EQ 742 EX 752 TU 743
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 38
nj23
Regular Contributor

@stillirise wrote:

I dunno...

I like the higher limits to keep the utilization down. You have some pretty serious limits there yourself. I cant imagine a 42k limit in my lifetime. Awesome job!

@longtimelurker wrote:

@nj23 wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I will hold off and do all at once and start with Barclay's.  

I am going to keep an eye on AMEX BCE in case they have a better offer by the time I app - It kind of seems like the Bank Americard Cash Rewards and BCE aren't all that different.  One thing that seems appealing about AMEX is the CL/CLIs.  I'm looking to get the largest credit lines I can.  My income is about 55k, so I'm not expecting gigantic limits, but I've seen people (a couple around these forums) with less income get pretty large limits.

Why?  IMO, this focus is wrong.  You should go for what maximizes your return.  Now if you need to transfer a balance, or are always carrying a balance (and want to reduce util), or need to make a large purchase, then maybe getting a large CL is worthwhile.  But in other cases a large CL has no real value, whereas getting good rewards does.

I believe I am choosing fairly good cards as far as rewards are concerned, but I would like to have high limits to have plenty of wiggle room for utilization, and to have plenty of emergency spending power, if needed.  I have no debt, so the limits wouldn't be for balance transfers or anything like that, and I'm planning on PIF each month on all.  Plus, you need higher limits to get some of the better cards down the line.  I want to be able to go into a car dealership and qualify for that 0.9% APR offer on a whim Smiley Very Happy

FICO TU: 768 (Post-Spree 7/14 Discover FICO) FICO EX: 734 (post-spree 7/6) FICO EQ: 730 (7/15 Lender pull after INQs)
6% utility July 29th. Back into the Garden after a successful spree...for real this time Smiley Very Happy
Message 33 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@eagle2013 wrote:

Slightly off topic but I see you have both Chase Amazon and Sallie Mae. Any value to having both, assuming you'll spend < $750/month at Amazon? I'm done apping, but I have a $60 credit offer for Chase Amazon that keeps poking at me everytime I checkout.

Just historical.   I have had the Chase Amazon for about 10 years, but haven't used it for over a year, since the grandfathered Citi Forward offers uncapped 5%, and if that goes away I have the Sallie Mae.  I moved 50% of the CL from Chase Amazon to CSP, could move more but don't need it on that card either.

IMO, $60 isn't enough for a HP for a subpar card unless you have almost no HPs on your report.  Go for Sallie Mae to get Amazon covered, and then go for a card with a higher sign up!

And, as Open123 will remind you, if and when Amazon charges sales tax in your state, a lot of value (apart from convenience) goes away.

Message 34 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@stillirise wrote:

I dunno...

I like the higher limits to keep the utilization down. You have some pretty serious limits there yourself. I cant imagine a 42k limit in my lifetime. Awesome job!

@longtimelurker wrote:

Unless  you need to carry a balance utilization is something you can control (and if you need to carry a balance, low APR trumps CL).  And utilization is only important when you are applying.  Way overstressed here.

Re the $42K.   The only reason I have that, moving CLs around, is because it is needed on this card as it used for MS.  Amex seems to pay attention to total spend per month compared to credit limit (i.e. paying it down mid month doesn't put them off the scent!) and people have been informed that the CL "is there for a reason"

And yes, as the OP said, there are valid reasons for going for high CLs, to cover for emergencies.  But, to my mind, high limits getting high limits is not always true, and at least some creditors WON"T give you good card/limits/terms if they are concerned that your total CL is too high compared to income.   So there can be a cost.

Message 35 of 38
Bluegoldkeys
Valued Member

@stillirise wrote:

Multiple apps is just what I did but I didnt really plan them I just got excited with every approval and did another. I didnt have much in credit cards I just paid cash for everything. I only had two sick credit cards and one of those was secured.

While its laughable now...it was the key to getting my mortgages because I had very little debt. What hurt was not having any high limit cards to finance repairs for my properties.

I think you will do fine with the apps. Remember though Discover uses TU I applied for that one today and got it. The agent told me on the phone thats what they pulled.

@Bluegoldkeys wrote:

Amazon - Saturday

Amex - Tuesday

Citi DP - Wedsneday.

approved for all. I have commited to no more for the next two years or until a house. I have all the cards i need now Smiley Very Happy

I finally got the higher limit cards but I did it so quickly Im worried now. Especially after reading another post about suspension of Amex. The poster hasnt given any details about it yet.

OH! yeah...I hope I can just relax for a bit. I did not think of the major purchases later. I intend to buy more property after I flip at least one. I hope I hadnt hurt my chances...

I was worried too but things will be fine. Time to garden and let the cards and scores mature.

Amex EX FICO: 744 GE TU FICO: 716 Gardening:
Amex Everyday 5.5k | Amex BCE 2k | Citi DP 6k | Amazon Rewards 2.5k | Walmart DC 1.2k | Best Buy Rewards 4k | Cap1 QSone 1k | NYMCU .5k
Message 36 of 38
stillirise
New Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@stillirise wrote:

I dunno...

@longtimelurker wrote:

Unless  you need to carry a balance utilization is something you can control (and if you need to carry a balance, low APR trumps CL).  And utilization is only important when you are applying.  Way overstressed here.

Re the $42K.   The only reason I have that, moving CLs around, is because it is needed on this card as it used for MS.  Amex seems to pay attention to total spend per month compared to credit limit (i.e. paying it down mid month doesn't put them off the scent!) and people have been informed that the CL "is there for a reason"

And yes, as the OP said, there are valid reasons for going for high CLs, to cover for emergencies.  But, to my mind, high limits getting high limits is not always true, and at least some creditors WON"T give you good card/limits/terms if they are concerned that your total CL is too high compared to income.   So there can be a cost.

I really need to carry a balance and have the funds available. I dont intend to spend enough money to make a profit with rewards. Hopefully I will make my money off the houses I repair with the credit lines. I really had to pinch to buy my properties but I only had a couple of low limit cards back then. Therefore, everytime I used one to make a repair my credit took a big hit. I REALLY needed a credit line to get those houses ready for market. A lot had to come out of pocket until I got a super high int loan from repair store.

I am literally trying to make the credit work to my benefit....need those credit lines.

Message 37 of 38
stillirise
New Contributor

@Bluegoldkeys wrote:

@stillirise wrote:

@Bluegoldkeys wrote:

Amazon - Saturday

Amex - Tuesday

Citi DP - Wedsneday.

I was worried too but things will be fine. Time to garden and let the cards and scores mature.

I just got the Amex. BoA and Discover IT.

I was waiting for the other shoe to fall.If I can just chill or "garden?" and nothing bad happens to me. I will be fine. I am still very worried though. I just got approved for the Discover (didnt take the Sams discover) I just got an alert from myfico seems I dropped 13 points on equifax this morning. my 683 went to 670. Im sure all others have dropped too. I will try to just stay under the radar for now. I really need to make this happen ....fingers crossed.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.