ngoaa

Question About Activating American Exxpress Additional Card

Hello Fico's,

I added a sibling as an additional card user on my BCE account. Of course, being that the sibling is only 15, I don't plan on giving the actual card to the said person until the person reaches the age of 18, sort of like a high school graduation +18th birthday present. Here's the deal: I haven't opened the envelope yet because I rather the person open it instead (would-you-give-an-open-present-to-someone type of thing) so the card remains inactivated till this day. Will American Express eventually cancel the card if it is to remain inactivated + unused for the next two years or so? Does this also mean that if inactivated + unusued, the card won't be reported? 

New Contributor
ptkdude

Re: Question About Activating American Exxpress Additional Card

I'd say activate the card; It may expire before they turn 18.  If you want them to be able to open the envelope, order a replacement card a few weeks before they turn 18. They can open and activate that one. 

Starting Score: 660 Jan 2012
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Frequent Contributor
jd5189

I think if it is not activated eventually the AU account will never fully generate. Why don't you activate it, and order a replacement card on the 18th birthday? Once activated, it won't require any use at all.

In my wallet: Amex PRG & Zync, Amex BCE (19.2k), Chase Freedom (5k), PSECU Visa/PSL (20k)
Current Scores: Equifax: 738 (Fako) TransUnion: 721 (Fico) Experian: 717 (Fico)
Disclaimer: I am by no means a financial advisor. My posts are based on opinion, experience, and/or knowledge.
ngoaa

Wow... I have NO IDEA why that didn't cross my mind. Thanks for pointing that out, ptkdude and jd5189! 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}